Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my cooling system, it is burning through coolant, like a gallon a day. I turned my car on in the garage to see if i could find a leak anywhere. I couldn't find one, but i noticed that below the tail pipe was condensation on the ground. I stuck my hand under it and notice that the exhaust wasn't making a stream, more of putt. I also have shaking from the engine, at all speeds. This really doesn't make any sense to me :dunno: . I love my taurus, but i can't keep a car that the repairs cost more than the car.
Thanks in Advance
CJ

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a problem with my cooling system, it is burning through coolant, like a gallon a day. I turned my car on in the garage to see if i could find a leak anywhere. I couldn't find one, but i noticed that below the tail pipe was condensation on the ground. I stuck my hand under it and notice that the exhaust wasn't making a stream, more of putt. I also have shaking from the engine, at all speeds. This really doesn't make any sense to me :dunno: . I love my taurus, but i can't keep a car that the repairs cost more than the car.
Thanks in Advance
CJ
[/b]
A gallon a day?????How long has this been going on? Do you smell coolant from the exhaust pipe? How is your coolant reservoir? Dirty, bubbling, oily? How is your oil? Do some inspection work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The past 3 days. Yes there is the smell of coolant from the exhaust pipe. My coolant is dirty, not oily or bubbling. My oil is normal color, I have check everything i just have no i idea what could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Burnt sugar smell at the exhaust? Sounds like a blown head gasket to me, which is pretty rare on a Vulcan. If it is sucking a gallon a day, I would worry about hydrolocking the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the symptoms to day.
1. Burning through coolant, no leaks to find, just from the exhaust. Its not burning through a gallon anymore it has slowed down to about a 1/3 of a gallon a day.
2. Rough Idle- its not felt through the steering wheel, its just the whole car shaking
3. Squeal coming from the S-Belt
4. The SES light came on today, i don't know the code.

I hope its not a blow head gasket, i don't think it is though. Would it still drive with just the symptoms above?
Possible causes:
Timing Chain, Water Pump, Head Gasket, Major leak somewhere not visible from above or below.
Thanks in Advance
CJ

·
Registered
205 Posts
1. Burning through coolant, no leaks to find, just from the exhaust. Its not burning through a gallon anymore it has slowed down to about a 1/3 of a gallon a day.
2. Rough Idle- its not felt through the steering wheel, its just the whole car shaking

I hope its not a blow head gasket, i don't think it is though. Would it still drive with just the symptoms above?
Possible causes:
Timing Chain, Water Pump, Head Gasket, Major leak somewhere not visible from above or below.
Thanks in Advance
CJ
[/b]
What is burning through coolant?
You can do one more check: remove spark plugs, one at a time and check the appearance. They should be nice light brown color, if you find one or more which look clean, like they have been washed, this cylider likely eats your coolant. There is a leak from the coolant passage into the cylinder. If this is true, I would say that at a 1/3 gallon a day the prognosis is not good. Mine was loosing this in a week until it crapped out, no outside leaks, all went into the first cylinder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>

Possible causes:
Thanks in Advance
CJ
[/b]
What is burning through coolant?
You can do one more check: remove spark plugs, one at a time and check the appearance. They should be nice light brown color, if you find one or more which look clean, like they have been washed, this cylider likely eats your coolant. There is a leak from the coolant passage into the cylinder. If this is true, I would say that at a 1/3 gallon a day the prognosis is not good. Mine was loosing this in a week until it crapped out, no outside leaks, all went into the first cylinder.
[/b][/quote]

All the coolant is coming out of the exhaust. I can check the spark plugs, i had them changed about 6k ago so they will still look pretty new. Would a leak in the cylinder cause a rough idle? It drives fine at speed but its just at idle where its rough.
Thanks In Advance
CJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts