Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUMP :(

I have a leak that is coming from the drivers side near the wheel, almost off the subframe if not. And my engine temp has went from the NO in Normal to the AL. Kinda starting to scare me. Any ideas what it might be? Also everytime i put coolent into the resivor the engine sucks it ALL in. Its a 93 Taurus GL.

Thanks much

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
It could be that the radiator has a leak in it which is why your coolant is disappearing and you're finding it on the ground. Or it could be that the head gasket is blown. Do you have any white smoke blowing out the exhaust? Have you checked the oil? Take off the oil filler cap and look on the underside - is there any white residue covering it?

Or it could be both - if the cooling system hasn't been maintained, you might have a bad radiator and the head gasket could be blown....

Others more knowledgeable are sure to chime in on this though...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there is no smoke and I just changed the oil and that is alright. No oil light. Its weird because when I stop the temp goes up but when I drive it goes back down? Thanks Much

-Ryan

J

·
0 Posts
Not sure if the Gen 2's have the plastic coolant reservoir or not, but check that. Those things are known to crack and leak. How much are you losing and over how much time? Make sure you keep it topped off until you figure out what's going on. Pick up a couple bottles and keep them with you. Don't want to overheat your engine.... that's VERY bad...

just realized you said driver's side... your reservoir is probably on the passenger side, no?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the reservoir is on the passenger side, and evertime i fill it, the engine sucks it all in.

-Ryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
It could be a faulty Thermostat. My 99' use to get stuck closed and would leak all over, eventually it cracked the resavoir.

·
Registered
167 Posts
temp goes down when driving becasue you have air flowing over the radiator takling the heat away.

Check to make sure the drain plug is all the way in. Also at the age of your car there are probably some plastic fittings in the coolant system that have degraded/corroded (natural over time). I just had to chjange some on my 96. Inspect all these carefully, if they are leaking you should see some dried resideu in hte vicinity of the fitting

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Sep 30 2004, 02:35 PM
It's the tank leaking on the radiator.  You can take it out and recrimp the edge with a vise grip.  Do not over crimp. http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modules.ph...&thold=0&sid=89
Paul is probably correct. However while you have the radiator out you may want to inspect it carefully. I'm a little sensitive to this seeing as I just replaced SW9's engine/tranny due to radiator failure. Also, see: Plugged Radiators
And you will get an idea of what I am talking about. Whether SLO or SHO, radiators in GIII's are sore spot and hard to get to. Bite the bullet, drop it, do as Paul suggests and inspect it. Bet you get back a happy temp gauage.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by showhat9+Sep 30 2004, 12:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (showhat9 @ Sep 30 2004, 12:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SHOZ123@Sep 30 2004, 02:35 PM
It's the tank leaking on the radiator.  You can take it out and recrimp the edge with a vise grip.  Do not over crimp. http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modules.ph...&thold=0&sid=89
Paul is probably correct. However while you have the radiator out you may want to inspect it carefully. I'm a little sensitive to this seeing as I just replaced SW9's engine/tranny due to radiator failure. Also, see: Plugged Radiators
And you will get an idea of what I am talking about. Whether SLO or SHO, radiators in GIII's are sore spot and hard to get to. Bite the bullet, drop it, do as Paul suggests and inspect it. Bet you get back a happy temp gauage.[/b][/quote]
Lucky for Ryan he drives a GenII, where radiators are cake to remove and install. :thumb: Let's give it up for easy to replace radiators! :clap:

Paul's probably right on the end tank leaking. My SHO is doing the same thing, but I've been to busy (read: lazy :p) to pull it and do the repair. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Sep 30 2004, 05:48 PM
Lucky for Ryan he drives a GenII, where radiators are cake to remove and install. :thumb: Let's give it up for easy to replace radiators! :clap:

Paul's probably right on the end tank leaking. My SHO is doing the same thing, but I've been to busy (read: lazy :p) to pull it and do the repair. :(
Hmmmm - Perhaps you were not aware that Ryan is the proud owner of a 96GIII. That's where that radiator came outta. And doesn't he now have one of each flavor? GI, GII and now GIII??

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I'm the Ryan you are talking about, I only own 1 Taurus, its a GenII, a 93GL. Also your talking about taking out the whole radiator? And what do you mean the "end tank"? Are you talking about the reservoir?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by showhat9@Sep 30 2004, 03:56 PM
Hmmmm - Perhaps you were not aware that Ryan is the proud owner of a 96GIII. That's where that radiator came outta. And doesn't he now have one of each flavor? GI, GII and now GIII??
You speaketh of the incorrect Ryan, I see. :lol2:
Ryan (the one I speaketh of), the end tanks are the plastic sides of the radiator.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems not to be leaking *knock on wood* anymore. But when it was it was coming from the drivers side, where the, I think, coolent goes into the engine. Around that little housing on the side of the engine.

-Ryan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X+Sep 30 2004, 10:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Racer X @ Sep 30 2004, 10:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-showhat9@Sep 30 2004, 03:56 PM
You speaketh of the incorrect Ryan, I see. :lol2:
Ryan (the one I speaketh of), the end tanks are the plastic sides of the radiator. [/b][/quote]
AHH Forsooth McBeth, you are indeed correct sir! Good Form Bravo. Yeah I was referring to Ryan Pasch from SHOCAGO. My bad.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I have gotten new front struts and springs, my old ones were not only bad, the springs broke, mounts went and bearings were striped, now it doesnt leak or the temp go up at all? *Knock on wood*

-Ryan

·
Registered
959 Posts
MMMwhahaha... I had this problem, and just bought the solution... or at least, I had a similar problem...

1) Pull the air fliter pan, and look underneath against the block, where the block rad hose breaks off the block...
2) The metal 90 elbow piece is your thermostat housing... and it's separated from the block by a gasket...
3) Check under, around, on top, everywhere in the immediate vicinity of the gasket... another good test is turning the car on, waiting until it's warm, filling your resevoir, and then visually inspecting the gasket... if it bubbles, that's your leak.
4) Go to NAPA, or whatever flavour of car parts store, grab a new gasket, and while you're at it, you should probably grab a new thermostat...I bought the higher temp thermostat...

Total money spent: $8.75 cdn
Approximate time to fix: 0.8 hours

I haven't actually fixed it yet, but I talked to my mechanic today, and he gave me a couple tips...

Editted: bekuz I kint speel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts