Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Coolant Temp. Sensor

15K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TazTaurus 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 taurus 3.0 and want to replace the old coolant temp sensor. Where exactly is the sensor and will I need any special tool to remove it? I'm thinking that I'll probably need a box wrench of some sort but I could be wrong. Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Hey this is actually easy to change, just make sure he coolant is cool of course. If you look under the distributor, there are two hoses that go from your lower intake... one goes to ur heater core, the other goes around to somewhere else. there is a wire plugged in to a thing that is threaded into one of the pipes coming off the lower intake near the distributor. That is your coolant sensor I believe, at least thats what i changed when my fan didn't work.. good luck.

#4 ·
That sensor you described goes to the GAUGE on the dash DO NOT change that one. The right one is on top of the intake manifold above the thermostat. You will need a 1 inch deep well socket to remove it. You will not loose any coolant if you keep the radiator cap ON. Make sure you get the BRAND name STANDARD or a factory original these will come with pipe tape on it already to seal it up so it wont leak. This sensor will have 2 WIRES on it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Qtx. Also, I forgot to tell you guys why I'm changing it (whichever sensor it may be.) On occasion my temp sensor on the dash goes to normal and then drops down as if i just started up the car cold. It does this sporadically but the car drives fine. I can leave the HVAC system on or off and it will still do the same thing. So I'm torn betwenn which sensor I should change or should I change both????

#6 ·
Check the single wire connection at the sending unit to make certain it is clean and secure.

Your symptom is of an intermittent open circuit.

If not reason for the intermittent is found, the sending unit is the most logical place to start.

The two-wires sensor is used by the computer. Nothing your have described indicates it is defective.

Steve

#7 ·
The thermostat will do this also if ti hanging open or closed. yhe gauge may be reading right but if the thermostat is hanging it will give you a reading like that also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.