Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel that having the overflow tanks on our early-mid generation Taurus' crack and leak every 1-2 years is a bit excessive? They are $60 a pop from Autozone.

I went out yesterday to do a coolant drain and get flush in the system to drive around for a few days. When I came back from AZ (getting the supplies) I noticed that my car was leaking coolant. Sure enough, popped the hood and saw the notorious leak from underneath the tank.

I hadn't bought my last tank from AZ, so I couldn't get any sort of replacement. In fact, I bought it from RockAuto. Well, since I didn't have time to order from RockAuto, I drove quickly back to AZ, praying and hoping that the tank wouldn't give way and leave me stranded.

Anyways, I guess AZ has a lifetime warranty, just like everything else. I guess the lesson learned here is, buy the Dorman part from them. And every 2 years when it cracks, get AZ to replace it for you.

Just frustrating how these parts can't last longer than that! :angry:

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
The lifetime warranty idea will work, kind of...... what happens when the cheap crap AZ tanks fail in the middle of nowhere when you are 1000 miles from home?

Was the Rockauto tank a Motorcraft one? The only tanks that seem to have any chance of holding up over time are the OEM Motorcraft ones.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lifetime warranty idea will work, kind of...... what happens when the cheap crap AZ tanks fail in the middle of nowhere when you are 1000 miles from home?

Was the Rockauto tank a Motorcraft one? The only tanks that seem to have any chance of holding up over time are the OEM Motorcraft ones.
I agree with this statement, however, RockAuto does not sell the Motorcraft parts, only Dorman. This is the exact same part that Autozone sells as well, but RockAuto sells it for $40 (+s/h).

I'm going to see what I can do about getting RockAuto to warrenty the product (either some $ back or get a new one). Then, with any luck, I can have a spare for next time and hopefully won't have to buy another one for 5 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts