Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did Ford in the Gen III and Gen IV not build a radiator cap so you could put coolant there. Its just a pressurized coolant tank.
All of the other cars my family owns have a coolant tank and also a radiator cap on the radiator. The radiator gets pressurized not the tank.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The whole system is pressurized, not just the reservoir. Manufacturers do this so that they don't have to put the top of the radiator at the highest point in the cooling system. Ford could never have made the sloped hood they did on the Gen 3 without running a remote coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Why do you need to put coolant directly in the radiator cap? Putting it in the tank works just as well...

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Just wait until your coolant tank becomes brittle and cracks at the bottom. Then you'll have a real reason to complain about the remotely mounted tank and cap. :thumb:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you need to put coolant directly in the radiator cap? Putting it in the tank works just as well...
[/b]
I dont have to put it in the radiator, the thing is when you have to add some coolant, you can not do it while your engine is hot. In any other car, you can just take the lid off of the coolant tank and just pour coolant right in. Also if you have access to the radiator, I think its easier to flush.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I dont have to put it in the radiator, the thing is when you have to add some coolant, you can not do it while your engine is hot. In any other car, you can just take the lid off of the coolant tank and just pour coolant right in. Also if you have access to the radiator, I think its easier to flush.
[/b][/quote]

I'd say there is a pretty high percentage of cars on the road that don't have radiator caps anymore so it's not like something unique to the Taurus...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Just wait until your coolant tank becomes brittle and cracks at the bottom. Then you'll have a real reason to complain about the remotely mounted tank and cap. :thumb:
[/b]

tell me about it mark.. couldn't figure it out for the longest time why i was loosing fluid till one day i found it.. i ended up putting fusor on the bottom and making like a cap for the bottom out of the stuff.. been holding good now for a while..

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Why is the resivoir more suceptable to cracks in the bottom than a regular non pressurized tank?

Mine looks fine and it's pulling 10 years now...

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Ford could never have made the sloped hood they did on the Gen 3 without running a remote coolant reservoir.
[/b]
The price to be paid for... catfish, I suppose... :unsure:

Why is the resivoir more suceptable to cracks in the bottom than a regular non pressurized tank?
[/b]
That's probably the answer... because it's pressurized.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts

Mine looks fine and it's pulling 10 years now...
[/b]
Pressure, heat, and plastic. I've seen this happen to more g4's, though. Must have changed the type of plastic. :dunno:

·
Registered
230 Posts
[/b]
I had a coolant leak for a while, then I finally realized that the back bottom of my coolant tank was cracked. Got a new aftermarket one on ebay for $30 or so, and the stock cap fits on it...can`t even tell the difference and now I have a nice clean whitish/clear bottle.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I had a coolant leak for a while, then I finally realized that the back bottom of my coolant tank was cracked. Got a new aftermarket one on ebay for $30 or so, and the stock cap fits on it...can`t even tell the difference and now I have a nice clean whitish/clear bottle.
[/b][/quote]

I love those rims on your car... What are they?

·
Registered
230 Posts
[/b]
The stock 00-04 16'' rims for the taurus. I always loved the look of them and figured they would look awesome on a G3. The only thing I don`t like about them is that they are only 6'' wide, if they were 8'' or so they would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
The stock 00-04 16'' rims for the taurus. I always loved the look of them and figured they would look awesome on a G3. The only thing I don`t like about them is that they are only 6'' wide, if they were 8'' or so they would be perfect.
[/b][/quote]

I knew I've seen them before! Something about the curvature of the G3 that enhances their look!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts