Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of people who have posted on this board, the coolant in my 99 taurus goes bad rather quickly. I would like to flush out the system myself and save a few $ but I am not sure where to install the tee for the Prestone flush and fill kit. The kit says to install the tee in the heater hose that runs from the heater core to the top of the engine.(inlet) However, the heater hose that runs from the firewall to the water pump (outlet, I presume) is teed and the hose runs around the back of the engine compartment and connects to the inlet hose before it attaches to the engine. Also, where is the best place to to drain the coolant from, since the kit suggests taking the radiator cap off and installing the deflector tube on the radiator, but obviously with this car there is not a radiator cap per se.

Any help on this would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I remove the upper radiator hose either at the radiator or the t-stat housing whichever i s easier. Then start the motor and with a garden hose feed water into the reservoir. After the engine warms up it will start to push the water out. Do this for 15 minutes or so.

The best place to drain the system is at the lower radiator hose where the 1" reservoir hose tees into it. There is a union about 3" up the 1" hose. This is also the lowest point in the system and you do not need to remove the plastic splash shield.

Be sure to use distilled water to mix the new stuff with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.