Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my car, you get a smell of coolant after you get out. I was wondering if you think the smell could be a result of the infamous POS overflow tank, or some where else. It does not seem to be loosing any coolant though.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It definitely could be the tank - I just replaced one that cracked and the leaking coolant would eventually splash onto the heat shield along the rear bank of the engine. You could smell it while driving, as well. I highly doubt it's overflowing because of the change of seasons - that's very unlikely.

A slow leak in the heater core could cause a coolant smell in the cabin as well. Have you noticed the passenger's floor getting wet?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my coolant flushed in late November and had to add some 3 weeks later when my mechanic friend installed a new thermostat. The smell is on the outside so I don't think its the heater core

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (01 Vulcan Ford @ Mar 10 2009, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707375
I had my coolant flushed in late November and had to add some 3 weeks later when my mechanic friend installed a new thermostat. The smell is on the outside so I don't think its the heater core[/b]
If it's the tank you should be able to look for the crack. If it's just the over flow it should go away. Inspect your tank.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Could be a hairline crack in the tank. That is the most likely culprit.

You could always have the system pressure tested.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (01 Vulcan Ford @ Mar 10 2009, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=707375
I had my coolant flushed in late November and had to add some 3 weeks later when my mechanic friend installed a new thermostat. The smell is on the outside so I don't think its the heater core[/b]
Yeah, if the smell is outside, it's most likely not the heater core, unless it's one of the heater hoses. As ZZman said, the most likely cause is a hairline crack in the tank. They aren't always obvious, and the factory tank sometimes cracks on the bottom where you can't see it without removing it from the car.

You can remove the tank without draining the system and not really lose any coolant other than what's in the tank - you have to be quick with your hands to tip the tank up so you don't dump coolant everywhere from the larger hose connection at the bottom of the front of the tank, and prop the hose straight up so it doesn't leak. Other than that, it's three hose clamps and two bolts, plus adding some coolant when you've got the new one in.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Smells good, doesn't it? Who needs those little pine trees when you have Eau d'Ethylene Glycol! I punch holes in my heater core just for the fragrance.

The radiator side tanks in the Tauri like to weep when it's cold out, then seal themselves up when the weather gets nicer. I have such a radiator in my SHO right now. Look down at the radiator tanks by the cooling fans for wetness.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I checked the Delear price about six months ago and I was quoted like $58 (previously purchase was about $32 three years earlier).

The local auto parts stores all sell the Chinese made Dorman part, sometimes in a house marked box. NAPA also sells the Dorman part.

I suggest getting a Genuine Ford Part from an Online Seller like FastPartsNetwork.com.

My average savings when ordering from them is 30% compared to the local Ford Dealers, after considering the shipping cost and sales tax avoided.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts