Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get an aftermarket reservoir for a 2001 Vulcan? The factory one obviously sucks and I really dont want to pay 125.00 (dealership) for a new one. Ive seen some on ebay advertised for the up to 1999 and it looks identical but I really dont want to make the mistake of thinking that it will work.

Also, should I replace the Thermostat since the stock reservoir cracked? Not sure if the reservoir cracked due to a faulty thermostat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

B

·
0 Posts
The '01 is different from the ones on Ebay for the 96-99 models. I'm not completely sure, but I don't think they'll work. From memory, the '01 has two small coolant lines in the rear of the tank, and one in the front. The 96-99 has on line in the rear, and one in the front (Vulcan engine only).

The Gen 3 cars had the same problem until they were redesigned. I replaced mine in 99 with the newer model, and have had no problems at all.

A little courtesy goes a long way too, SHOZ123 was simply trying to help. :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by demon@Oct 3 2004, 05:20 PM
Obviously you didnt read my previous post thouroughly.
Dead on man.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 3 2004, 07:49 PM
A little courtesy goes a long way too, SHOZ123 was simply trying to help. :)
Thats the trouble with typing, there is no way to get your message across. I didnt mean to be non-courteous, I was letting him know that he didnt read my post thouroughly, and that is why I posted at the end of the initial post thank's in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Oct 3 2004, 07:49 PM
The '01 is different from the ones on Ebay for the 96-99 models. I'm not completely sure, but I don't think they'll work. From memory, the '01 has two small coolant lines in the rear of the tank, and one in the front. The 96-99 has on line in the rear, and one in the front (Vulcan engine only).

The Gen 3 cars had the same problem until they were redesigned. I replaced mine in 99 with the newer model, and have had no problems at all.
Im not sure if mine is stock them cause I only have 2 small lines (total) and one large line going to the radiator for fill up. One of the smaller lines is obviously a radiator overflow line and the other goes to the manifold. One of the smaller lines are mounted exact to the 96-99 but the other is slightly different, my only concern would be that it the mounting locations mount up and those appear to be exact. I will ask the seller if he can measure mounting tabs and see if they line up, but Im pretty sure they will not.

B

·
0 Posts
You're correct about the typing. Most people think I'm an insane jerk until they meet me. Doesn't help much that I always look like I'm pissed, even when I'm not. My apologies if I offended you, and for unjustly accusing.

Now onto the tank. I would imagine you could simply relocate the rubber line that's in the wrong spot. As long as the mounting tab (the one that slides into the fender) is the same, you could drill the fender if the bolts didn't line up and use sheetmetal screws. I know if I could save $100 on one, I would be willing to do some extra work.

So you know too, the last time I bought a Gen 3 tank at the dealer it was $35 with no discounts. It may be easier to take a run down to the dealer and see one in person to check fitment. Most dealers should have this in stock, it's a fairly common failure on the Gen 3. Good news is that the new ones the dealer has are redesigned, and don't fail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts