Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the nipple off my upper radiator house assembly and had to add coolant.

Bought NAPA green coolant that corresponds with my owners manual as the type i need which is Ford-ESE-M97B44-a.

the old a/f was gold and this one is green

I have read t hatyou cant mix the colors as it will turn to "sludge"

But it seems its that same stuff just different color?

Am i ok or do i need a flush and fill? Thanks

2000 Duratech 3.0

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I personally would flush and refill with either the green or the gold coolant and make things right.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I just use the universal stuff but mix it with distilled water. Never had a coolant issue using it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it doesn't matter if you mix green with gold as long as it's not dexcool and other stuff. gold is long life, if you mix green then it will lose it's long life quality (green wins)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Yeah lincolnshibuya I figured since they were both at Ford-ESE-M97B44-a standards that they had to be basically the same stuff, the web has you believing that this mix turns your radiator to sludge and leaves you sterile!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The concern comes from the chemical composition of the original Prestone "green" vs other antifreeze brands such as Xerex G-05. The conflict came from the silicate and organic formulations. Mixing the two incompatible formulas did produce a sludge that had to be flushed out with citric acid. Search a few MB forums to understand the implications.

Regardless, antifreeze should be flushed periodically - 2 / 3 yrs is your choice. To keep our innards flowing, we all benefit from a periodic flush, including hoses, radiators, water pumps and engine blocks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts