Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low Coolant light popped on this past week, so I unclipped the sensor wire to quit the beeping/dinging and the LOW COOLANT light off. Have a replacement lined up. I know you need to remove the bolts that hold on the tank to the body (2 or 3 IIRC on a DOHC) and unclip the hoses. But how do I get the coolant out of the tank and into new tank (I'm guessing I'll spill some)? Coolant was flushed/back flushed last year @ the dealer. Is there any procedure I should follow after installing the new one and adding the old coolant (ie run it with cap off or something)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Just put a pan under the car, and pop off the lower coolant hose. When you have the new tank in, pour the coolant in from the pan. The system will work the bubbles out on its own.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
In my case, there wasn't much coolant in the tank... the front mount, the lowest, was where the crack occurred and the tank had drained down to it.

I took out the rest (very little, maybe 8 ounces) with a turkey baster and just let the environment cope with the few ounces that escaped the baster and dribbled out when I popped the bottom hose.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks for the help guys. Sorry for such a dumb question but figured I would check before tackling the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
If you don't want to empty the system, I'd siphon it out of the reservoir into a bucket

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 29 2009, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721702
I took out the rest (very little, maybe 8 ounces) with a turkey baster and just let the environment cope with the few ounces that escaped the baster and dribbled out when I popped the bottom hose.[/b]
Ethylene Glycol isn't harmful to the environment; just to animals that drink large quantities. Ethylene Glycol is just an alcohol; the danger comes when it's ingested. It oxidizes into an acid that is toxic. Ethylene Glycol has a half-life of only ~3 days and isn't harmful to aquatic life.

Not everything you see the tree huggers scream about is the truth.

EDIT: I just perused a WHO paper on Ethylene Glycol, and it stated that the vapor pressure was so low, that under atmospheric conditions it would almost entirely be in the vapor state.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 29 2009, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721783

EDIT: I just perused a WHO paper on Ethylene Glycol, and it stated that the vapor pressure was so low, that under atmospheric conditions it would almost entirely be in the vapor state.[/b]
Interesting, silvapain - guess I was just reacting to the fluorescent green... anything that color has to be toxic.... :huh:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 29 2009, 08:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721815
QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 29 2009, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721783

EDIT: I just perused a WHO paper on Ethylene Glycol, and it stated that the vapor pressure was so low, that under atmospheric conditions it would almost entirely be in the vapor state.[/b]
Interesting, silvapain - guess I was just reacting to the fluorescent green... anything that color has to be toxic.... :huh:
[/b][/quote]

I hate to break it to you, but Ethylene Glycol is colorless and odorless.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Mis-spoke. "Reacting to the fluorescent green of coolant formulations that contain ethylene glycol and other ingredients, including colorants."

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The last couple times I've had the tank out of my '01 I haven't drained the system at all...I don't know the plumbing to the Duratec tank is routed, but on the Vulcan I can get the tank out, full, and not spill much of anything - maybe a cup or two.

I leave the cap on, remove the two small lines on top, and remove the two bolts holding it to the car. Then I loosen the clamp on the lower outlet hose and slide it out of the way, and work the hose almost all the way off. You have to be ready to block the outlet from the tank and point the coolant hose up right away to prevent it from dumping coolant - on the Vulcan, you can use the a/c plumbing to prop it out of the way. Then just tilt the lower outlet up, lift it out of the car, and dump the coolant in a bucket.

Putting the new tank in is basically the same thing backwards - you have to be quick getting the lower hose at least a little bit on so it doesn't leak. You'll lose a little, but not much.

You have to be fairly quick, but it's pretty simple. I'd imagine it would work on the Duratec too, but I haven't looked closely enough. If you're putting the same coolant back in, make sure the drain pan/bucket is clean!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts