Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 taurus se with the 24V DOHC. The car has 150k and the infamous pipe that goes from the water pump to the thermostat housing is about ready to rust through. I already have this part and I am wondering what else I should replace. Everything is original, as far as hoses go. I think I want to replace the lower radiator hose and the hose that branches off of this to the reservoir. What else should I replace. Should I screw with the thermostat or leave it alone? What about the other hoses? They look ok. I figured that I would do the lower one because if it does go on me, it will be a real PITA if it is winter. Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Check the condition of the hoses. If they aren't dry, hard and brittle, or oil soaked/soft/mushy, then just leave them. I only replace hoses that look like they could blow soon. Otherwise, save your money.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
At 150k the large upper and lower radiator hoses are all cracked internally. They are just waiting for a hot day and city traffic to blow.

The good news is most of the smaller hose can be replaced with bulk heater hose. Much cheaper than the OEM molded hoses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 99 just started to leak, a lot, from the 3 way branch up near the firewall on the drivers side. If this part is not in stock, can it be replaced using stock bulk hose and connectors? It looks like the entire part could be a tough to get routed in there, and if I have to order it, I'm out a car until it comes in and I can replace it. I had already planned on cutting into this part just to backflush the heater core and installing a connector when I was done. I figured the metal tips were not good to stress trying to remove the hose parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts