Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it has gotten hotter out, this has become a bigger issue. I have 2000 Mercury Sable with the 3.0 Vulcan with 125,000 miles on it, I just flushed the coolant a fews days ago but the problem has not gone away. The coolant only gets hotter than normal under acceleration, even moderate acceleration will cause the coolant temperature gauge to go up above normal. Its never gotten to the H but it has come pretty close. The coolant level is right were it should be, and it doesn't leak. Any ideas will help.
Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check your water pump; the impeller might have rusted away causing insufficient coolant flow and possibly clogging coolant lines (especially in the heater core.) You could also have a blown headgasket or cracked head. Also check to see if the fans are coming on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Angrod @ Jun 4 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809394
Check your water pump; the impeller might have rusted away causing insufficient coolant flow and possibly clogging coolant lines (especially in the heater core.) You could also have a blown headgasket or cracked head. Also check to see if the fans are coming on.[/b]
Does the heater work good? The vulcan has a bad habit of rust deposits cloging the heater core and radiator. The impeller blades on the water pump deteriorate over time causing not enough water flow. Back flush your heater core and if it's full of junk your radiator is too. The overheating will lead to head gasket failure. This same type of problem led to head gaskets on my vulcam 3.0.

I had it flushed by a reputable shop, new water pump and new radiator. Gave it back to my daughter and two moths later she ran it hot and i replaced the head gaskets. I was amazed at how much junk I flushed out of the system when i did the head job. One week after the head job the heater stopped blowing hot. I flushed it again and lot of rust came out again. I am currently flushing the system every 2 weeks or so in an effort to make sure I get all the rust out of the engine. I may try and see if the block has a drain plug i can remove if continue to get rust out of the system. I refuse to let this new radiator get clogged.

You better get a handle on this or it will lead to trouble.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (FunkyShaf @ Jun 4 2010, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809355
As it has gotten hotter out, this has become a bigger issue. I have 2000 Mercury Sable with the 3.0 Vulcan with 125,000 miles on it, I just flushed the coolant a fews days ago but the problem has not gone away. The coolant only gets hotter than normal under acceleration, even moderate acceleration will cause the coolant temperature gauge to go up above normal. Its never gotten to the H but it has come pretty close. The coolant level is right were it should be, and it doesn't leak. Any ideas will help.
Thanks[/b]
If your coolant level stays where it should be you have not damaged the heads or head gaskets yet. That is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts