Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Taurus v6 dohc 70,000 miles garaged over the years. losing coolant. was dripping drivers side after a short drive. have added at least a gallon over a month or so. Jacked it up today let it run up to operating temperature and ... nothing dripping. So I have seen that tauruses water pumps can lose their fins from corrosion thereby not circulating the coolant. Would my taurus get hot here in minnesota cold and pump the coolant out or is it a closed system that pushes excess / hot fluid into the reservoir ? Does it circulate in the reservoir or only when needed? And the "low coolant" sensor is located where? Kind of perplexed here Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
22,681 Posts
On a '99 tec drivers side, my guess would be a hose, clamp, etc. Where specifically on the drivers side? Pump and reservoir located on the pass. side. Low coolant sensor is in the bottom of the reservoir.

·
Registered
521 Posts
One trick I've used a couple times when trying to find a hidden coolant leak is add some UV dye to the coolant and run it a while then use a black light and the glow will show you right where it's leaking. I've bought the UV dye kits from amazon but I think you can also get them at many auto supply stores. They make kits for coolant and for the AC lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran it and saw no visible leak.... got it up to operating temperature for a good 20 - 30 minutes. Starting to think maybe the reservoir leaks then makes the low coolant sensor go off then maybe I overfilled it .I guess I will have to watch it and carry extra antifreeze. I had it jacked up crawled under it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts