Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by my sister-in-law's husband to fix his 01' Taurus because it's leaking coolant. I knew as soon as he said that it was most likely the hose that houses the thermostat because I replaced the same part with the same issues on a co-workers 01' Mercury Sable. I can't remember the part number or the name of the part in question. I know I had to get it from the dealership because nobody carried it and it was right around $175.00.

The part is the hose that sits on the drivers side of the motor has a plastic molded "F" type fitting with to hoses coming out. Does anyone know what I am talking about or where I could find anymore information? Your help is much appreciated.

It's a 3.0 Duratec

·
Registered
179 Posts
you could goto o'riely's and just point to it and ask...

but just as a personal preference, i never work on other people's cars, if you mess up, it's all on you, when something else goes wrong, they come to you, some even expect you to know everything (they ask, whats up with the dohickey that has a hose that goes into the thingy?)

i help them find the parts and a guide, then watch them do it and help only if i need to ("DON'T HIT THAT WITH A HAMMER") and in the end, they love their car even more cause they managed to fix it by themselves...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808365

but just as a personal preference, i never work on other people's cars, if you mess up, it's all on you, when something else goes wrong, they come to you, some even expect you to know everything (they ask, whats up with the dohickey that has a hose that goes into the thingy?)

i help them find the parts and a guide, then watch them do it and help only if i need to ("DON'T HIT THAT WITH A HAMMER") and in the end, they love their car even more cause they managed to fix it by themselves...[/b]
The part is not available at any part stores it is a dealer only part. I don't mind working on cars when it isn't a giant pain in the ass but that is becoming less and less with each new car that comes out, but that is another story.

·
Registered
179 Posts
QUOTE (jricharc @ Jun 1 2010, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808368
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808365

i help them find the parts and a guide, then watch them do it and help only if i need to ("DON'T HIT THAT WITH A HAMMER") and in the end, they love their car even more cause they managed to fix it by themselves...[/b]
The part is not available at any part stores it is a dealer only part. I don't mind working on cars when it isn't a giant pain in the ass but that is becoming less and less with each new car that comes out, but that is another story.
[/b][/quote]

even if they don't carry it, someone there will more than likely know what it's called...

just a thought

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i know what part you are talking about... not sure what it is called either could try fordparts.com to see what they would call it.

so i guess these leak often? just put one in my car for my swap...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 1 2010, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808421
i know what part you are talking about... not sure what it is called either could try fordparts.com to see what they would call it.

so i guess these leak often? just put one in my car for my swap...[/b]
Heater core bypass hose.

You can fix it for less than $15

Take it off
use channel locks to remove hoses from molded end T fitting
crush the hose ends you just removed and take out the leftover plastic parts inside the hose
clean the inside of the hoses clean
Go to auto parts store and get T fitting and 3 hose clamps
put the plastic T fitting on the 3 hose ends and put the clamps on and tighten
Put on the bypass hose and refill antifreeze.
You will be good to go.

Thats what i did to my 97

bob

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (jricharc @ Jun 1 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808363
I have been asked by my sister-in-law's husband to fix his 01' Taurus because it's leaking coolant. I knew as soon as he said that it was most likely the hose that houses the thermostat because I replaced the same part with the same issues on a co-workers 01' Mercury Sable. I can't remember the part number or the name of the part in question. I know I had to get it from the dealership because nobody carried it and it was right around $175.00.

The part is the hose that sits on the drivers side of the motor has a plastic molded "F" type fitting with to hoses coming out. Does anyone know what I am talking about or where I could find anymore information? Your help is much appreciated.

It's a 3.0 Duratec[/b]
It's the radiator hose, lower.

Link to my old thread : http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry801579

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Jun 1 2010, 08:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808499
QUOTE (jricharc @ Jun 1 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808363

It's a 3.0 Duratec[/b]
It's the radiator hose, lower.

Link to my old thread : http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry801579
[/b][/quote]

I was brainless on that comment. I had just fixed mine so it was fresh in my mind on the heater bypass hose deal.

So far, i have not had a GEN3 lower hose fail.
I have replaced the radiator which was not much fun compared to my old Gen2.

bob

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
ithink it is this one you are looking for

8A521
Ford

Radiator Coolant Hose
DOHC; #1F12 8A521-BA - includes degas tube, radiator hoses, thermostat, housing and connector and seal
$149.95

from fordparts.com

and a link:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDeta...amp;search=true

click on the view image to see a complete diagram of the duratec cooling system it is a very helpful diagram i would do a print screen cut copy paste deal but im not on my computer right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 2 2010, 03:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808600

8A521
Ford

Radiator Coolant Hose
DOHC; #1F12 8A521-BA - includes degas tube, radiator hoses, thermostat, housing and connector and seal
$149.95

from fordparts.com

and a link:

click on the view image to see a complete diagram of the duratec cooling system it is a very helpful diagram i would do a print screen cut copy paste deal but im not on my computer right now.[/b]
Thanks so much that is it, 8A521. Do the previously mentioned repair methods work for this hose or does it need to be replaced... It seems to be a common problem with this engine.

Here is a closer view of the hose:

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (jricharc @ Jun 2 2010, 08:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808664
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 2 2010, 03:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808600

8A521
Ford

Radiator Coolant Hose
$149.95

from fordparts.com

and a link:

click on the view image to see a complete diagram of the duratec cooling system it is a very helpful diagram i would do a print screen cut copy paste deal but im not on my computer right now.[/b]
Thanks so much that is it, 8A521. Do the previously mentioned repair methods work for this hose or does it need to be replaced... It seems to be a common problem with this engine.

Here is a closer view of the hose:

[/b][/quote]

I just replaced mine. using the vacuum tube and the JB weld was only a temporary patch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts