Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I have a guy who said my hose from the water pump to the thermostat is shot (cuz it's a high failure thing - hope he's right on this one!) ....that hose is mega expensive and can only get from dealer he says.... Any one found that part elsewhere? He said it's $190 bucks or so- Holy Schmokes! It's rubber on both ends and steel in middle. All of this of course - is provided he's right. UGH. HELP!:unsure:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just a minute---isn't that the hose that some members replaced easily with a standard sized flexi hose?? for about $15? I'd check the Search feature on this one. It's awhile back and possibly for a Vulcan---can't remember!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mr Boo - it may not work for the 2000 - Autozone says no - still working on it..... Toronut - THANKS - am looking in to THAT. Whew - wouldn't that be great. :)))

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
It's a 21 inch x 1.5 inch flex hose that does the trick. Posters here have said to cut the old pipe through in the middle for easiest removal. IIRC, it needs a single zip tie to hold it from rubbing on some moving part (serpentine belt?) For Duratecs.
Search for "need a new coolant hose" post by member bigh. It's 9 pages long, but it's good info and there is a Gates Hose part # in there somewhere.

·
Banned
2,124 Posts
i have one from my duratec that has not blown out yet. it is rustly but there were no leaks before it was removed. i dont have a use for as i now have the newer coolant system

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you think it costs alot, wait untill you try to change it!
I did mine and I think ford built the car around it!
Very tight fit.
Give yourself a half a day to do it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have replaced mine with a flex hose from advanace auto parts. Dealer wanted 230 with tax. I was about to give up because it looked like the flex hose was going to rub on the belt, when I googled it and found that someone had done the same thing - and came up with the same exact hose that I did. I saw they simply put a zip tie around the engine mount and the hose to keep it away from the belt. I put 6 in that same spot. I didn't like the idea of getting strantded due to a zip tie breaking. Now all 6 have to break. Its been working just great like this for the past 3 months or so. And the best part is it only cost $20 dollars (with two new screw claps for getting them on easier).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a 21 inch x 1.5 inch flex hose that does the trick. Posters here have said to cut the old pipe through in the middle for easiest removal. IIRC, it needs a single zip tie to hold it from rubbing on some moving part (serpentine belt?) For Duratecs.
Search for "need a new coolant hose" post by member bigh. It's 9 pages long, but it's good info and there is a Gates Hose part # in there somewhere.
I took the time to register here for this reason & only one reason. You will never hear from me again. I replaced the better half's using your method shipped it back and replaced it with a 19 and 3/4 flexihose 1220. It was almost perfect, however did have to ziptie it as well, still rubbed slightly only when hot, looked fine prior. I did skin the bark off my trees doing so (busted my knuckels). I want to personally thank you for your initial breakdown.

For anyone doing this job it SUXX ;) I am a computer programmer with a degree in automotive, google was my friend that found this suggestion thanks again danhasenauer or whoever initially suggested the flexihose. I am beta, I do not make the the things suggested I only make things suggested better. Or is that alpha? $15 dollar hose or a $230 pipe / hose. I took the pipe broke it in half and removed it, i would love to meet the engineer on that project. I bet you money he too was a programmer. Don't you wish all programmers would skin the bark? You would not be here if they did.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think this is better than the original stupid conduit:

Luckly I am driving the "rust belt", mine is still good.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Hi - I have a guy who said my hose from the water pump to the thermostat is shot (cuz it's a high failure thing - hope he's right on this one!) ....that hose is mega expensive and can only get from dealer he says.... Any one found that part elsewhere? He said it's $190 bucks or so- Holy Schmokes! It's rubber on both ends and steel in middle. All of this of course - is provided he's right. UGH. HELP!:unsure:
OK if it is a 2000, then it uses a different hose than the '96-'99. One year only the '00 put the pump in a different place, so it should not be as difficult.

Motorcraft KM4531 Radiator lower hose RockAuto is $28.89.
It is a one year only, 2000.

Not to be confused with earlier years.

Just check it out. What do I know?

-chart-

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I took the time to register here for this reason & only one reason. You will never hear from me again. I replaced the better half's using your method shipped it back and replaced it with a 19 and 3/4 flexihose 1220. It was almost perfect, however did have to ziptie it as well, still rubbed slightly only when hot, looked fine prior. I did skin the bark off my trees doing so (busted my knuckels). I want to personally thank you for your initial breakdown.

For anyone doing this job it SUXX ;) I am a computer programmer with a degree in automotive, google was my friend that found this suggestion thanks again danhasenauer or whoever initially suggested the flexihose. I am beta, I do not make the the things suggested I only make things suggested better. Or is that alpha? $15 dollar hose or a $230 pipe / hose. I took the pipe broke it in half and removed it, i would love to meet the engineer on that project. I bet you money he too was a programmer. Don't you wish all programmers would skin the bark? You would not be here if they did.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn
This is THE FORUM for Taurus and Sable info! Hope we see you and hear from you regularly!

·
Registered
9,609 Posts

Thanks again,

TheeMahn
Re:
Computer programmers make their share of goofs. ;)

But in this case it is a 2000 if I read correctly and the '99 does not apply.
Ford changes things from year to year and the parts houses do not keep up. '00 used a one year only water pump, hoses, and was a COP spark, not used in '99 or '01. And my '01 has a fuel filter used in one year only.

Oh well, happy programming!:)

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
f6dz 8a567 a works on 96-2000 DOHC motors. No unique hose for the 2000s. Same junk as the 96-99s use unfortunately.

FYI, it appears the aftermarket guys have picked up on the fact that the hose is Ford Only....
1AAuto 1AEMX00086
Dorman 626-209
Ford F6DZ-8A567-A

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
f6dz 8a567 a works on 96-2000 DOHC motors. No unique hose for the 2000s. Same junk as the 96-99s use unfortunately.

FYI, it appears the aftermarket guys have picked up on the fact that the hose is Ford Only....
1AAuto 1AEMX00086
Dorman 626-209
Ford F6DZ-8A567-A
See pic.
2000 one year only they moved the water pump to the front of the car, offset from the center location in '96-'99 engined. Different belt, different location, different hose.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ok now that's weird.

If you go to a Ford parts website and search for that, you find that it works on the DOHC motor from 96-00.

But I also see that Ford has it listed as working on the 01-07 DOHC:
Fast Parts Network, LLC

Oye.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Ok now that's weird.

If you go to a Ford parts website and search for that, you find that it works on the DOHC motor from 96-00.

But I also see that Ford has it listed as working on the 01-07 DOHC:
Fast Parts Network, LLC

Oye.
We need to be sure we are talking about the same hose.
There is the WP to TS hose that is rubber-metal-ruber on '96-'99. I have not seen what they do on '2000 but I have seen the WP moved to a offset location, so the hose must be different. Older had WP directly over the crank pulley, while '00 was offset a well to the front of the car. Easy to tell the engine in the JY as it had COP.

And then there is the hose from radiator to TS which likely did not change. TS was bolted to the block on the car front side.

In '01 the WP was moved to the cam drive and to the drivers side of the engine. I have one. Thanks for small favors. And with that they changed all the hoses and TS.

I did the WP to TS hose on a '98 and it was a real challenge. Some years ago and only available replacement was FORD and about $190 and special order. It came all clamped together, all 3 sections. I removed their clamps, and installed it in parts, clamping with worm drive clamps. Hard to reach areas. It was a pain. PAIN!.:angry:

I wish I had know about the possiblilty of all rubber hose, but I NEVER thought of that one. Was not my car.

Life is confusing, Ford is CONFUSING!.

Have a nice SAT! Sunny in the North Country.

-chart-

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
20 Participants
esromj
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing