Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the coolant leaking in the driveway everyday since last 4 months, its just few drops everyday.
And a mechanic showed me it leaking right on the O2 sensor and the exhaust pipe (he didnt have much knowledge to detect the source).

But to my surprise the coolant reservoir is full.

It means the coolant level in the radiator is going down.

Since it was winter, and I never did more than 50 miles trip, so never saw engine over-heating.

When I start the engine the coolant in the reservoir doesn't even move. I guess the coolant in the reservoir should circulate and move with the water pump.

Kindly advice, it seems to be a serious problem, and can blow up motor, before I realize.

I couldn't find any radiator cap on the radiator to fill coolant in the radiator.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The coolant in the degas (reservoir) tank and the radiator are the same - it is all one system. If the radiator (or anything else) was leaking for four months, the level in the tank would drop. If you haven't overheated on 50-mile trips, the coolant is circulating.

If you still have the original black-top reservoir, you won't really be able to see any movement in the coolant anyway. There is no actual radiator cap on the Taurus - only the cap on the tank. That's always where coolant is added.

Where exactly are you seeing the drips? Which oxygen sensor and what part of the exhaust is it leaking on? Front, rear, or side of the engine compartment? Do you smell coolant?

Are you absolutely positive it's coolant? If you've been using the heater on anything other than floor or dash vents only, you've been using the a/c - are you sure it's not drips from the a/c drain?

If it's been leaking enough to leave visible drops on the ground, and you haven't added any coolant, the coolant level should be low. Even if it is leaking, if there is enough coolant in the system, it is NOT going to blow up the engine - you're not overheating the car. If the mechanic "didn't have much knowledge to detect the source," I'd recommend having it looked at by someone else.

FWIW, the most common leak spots on the Vulcan are the degas tank itself (cracks), the cap on the tank (not holding pressure - had this twice with Dorman replacements), the water pump, and the timing cover on the engine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your mechanic should have been able to do a pressure test on the coolant system. This will usually show the leak pretty easily.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure its coolant, because for the first 2 months(Dec, Jan) I added 1 quart each month to the reservoir, as the reservoir level was low. But after that, in last 2 months(Feb, Mar) the reservoir is almost full, and its not loosing coolant(hardly 1/2 quart down in last 2 months - which I guess is because of water evaporating), but I do see the coolant drops on the ground everyday.

It never used AC, and always used heat in winter, so its not the water from AC.

The coolant reservoir was changed last year, as it was cracked, so I have a new reservoir, which is transparent.
When I switch the engine on, I dont see any coolant movement in the reservoir. I opened the bottle cap, with the engine running, and no pressure there. I guess I should see the coolant circulating in and out of the reservoir.
But, when the engine is hot, the coolant level in the reservoir is going up, which shows that its getting the excess coolant from the radiator on heating.

Question: Is it ok for the radiator fan to switch on, when the car is not over-heating ?

Actually the car was loosing the Transmission Fluid, as I had to add 4 quarts of ATF in last 4 months, so I suspected that it was ATF leaking along with coolant. So, today I took it to a Transmission shop. The guy put it on lift and showed me that the coolant droplets are coming from the water pump area(may be water pump seal) and its dropping right on the O2 sensor, and then on the exhaust pipe(running next to tranny pan). He showed that there is no ATF leak. He asked me to go to another mechanic for coolant leak, as he was a Tranny Guy. So, coolant drops are on the side of the engine, and I am not sure of any coolant burning smell.

Now the problem is:
1. I see coolant leaking(Tranny shop confirmed, its coolant), but its level is hardly reducing in the reservoir.
2. I don't see the ATF leaking, but its going down on dip-stik. Its just disappearing. Is there any way for the ATF to reach the Engine combustion chambers and burn there ? I guess no.

i) The coolant is bright green, so I don't suspect ATF leaking into coolant, in the radiator.
ii) The ATF is pink and not chocolate-milky, so I dont suspect coolant going into tranny either.
iii) The engine oil level is right and the color is good, so I don't expect ATF / Coolant in engine oil.

I usually take 40-50 miles trip on weekends, and did a 250 mile trip(on a freezing cold day) last month, but didnt notice any over-heating.

I read some blogs, which says that Radiator might be empty, while the reservoir is full, see this:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f8...ill-full-48479/

Read another blog, which says that the ATF might be burning in engine:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee94f65/5072

·
Registered
453 Posts
These cars are known to develop leaks behind the water pump/timing cover. I had that fixed last summer on mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ Apr 1 2009, 11:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714391
These cars are known to develop leaks behind the water pump/timing cover. I had that fixed last summer on mine.[/b]
x2!! The upper engine mount is secured with the same bolts that holds the timing cover to the block near the water pump passage. Vibration and torgue plus the heating and cooling of the unlike metals has a lot to do with it.

Mine too was dripping on/off the o2 sensor.

Hope this helps someone later!!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
For the coolant leak issue, check the hoses and connection. It can be as simple as tightening a clamp which is what i did on my to stop the leaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts