Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2013 Taurus limited it has all of sudden started leaking coolant not a bunch but some and it doesn’t run hot anyone else have this issue and where was leak. Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have the 3.5L engine? Do you see visible signs of a leak...or, are you going by the coolant level dropping? If the latter, I hope it's not the dreaded internal water pump leakage that plaques these engines. If it is the water pump, that's a serious problem that can ruin your engine as the coolant mixes with the oil. Google it and become familiar with what is involved in repairing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the coolant leak and just found out how in depth it is to fix. I have the lifetime Powertrain warranty I don’t think it covers this though

·
Registered
155 Posts
As I understand it, if the water pump seal is leaking coolant, you won't see any external signs of a leak as the coolant will mix with the oil. You'll only notice the coolant level in the reservoir falling...and, you might see signs of it mixing with the oil or the oil level rising when pulling the dipstick. My daughter has a '10 Edge with this engine and I'm trying to be very vigilant with keeping tabs on the coolant level. If you are seeing signs of an external leak, it is probably something else.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
^^^^ 2 failure modes for the Cyclone water pump. Most common is the pump will leak thru a weep hole near the alternator just like a typical weep hole leak on any other engine. This will not dump coolant into the oil. Much less common is and internal leak that dumps coolant into the oil destroying the main and rod bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy who works on my car says it water pump :( he has a small shop who has never turn me down on fixing anything but he did this time. He book says a normal repair takes 2-4 hours this one list for 10.9 hrs. Iv put a call into ford for a price can’t imagine how much they will charge but I know it is going to be hefty. I have one more guy gonna look at it and see if he can do it I’ll update with the price from ford

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
This is a common enough issue that I am sure many well equipped indy shops have done the repair before and know how to do it for much less than the Stealer will charge. It is not necessary to remove the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m taking it to a guy this morning and have him look at it for a price before the dealership hopefully some cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
None of my local mechanics would touch it took it too dealer who sold me the car gave me a great 👍🏻 price. I called another dealership at same time and the second one was through the roof.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts