Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a, hard to Identify, leak on the wagon. It seems to be dripping from the back side of the engine (passenger's side, near the firewall) and dripping down around the oil pan and onto the cat converter. Doesn't look like the water pump or any hoses...just can't see where it is coming from.

Any ideas? :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (RocketFoot @ Jul 3 2009, 01:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736761
Found a, hard to Identify, leak on the wagon. It seems to be dripping from the back side of the engine (passenger's side, near the firewall) and dripping down around the oil pan and onto the cat converter. Doesn't look like the water pump or any hoses...just can't see where it is coming from.

Any ideas? :([/b]
Have you checked the lines and coolant resevior for any leaks?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my heater core hose was leaking and it was dripping on my cat you could try there

·
Registered
797 Posts
[When you say near firewall the first thing to mind is a heater hose or heater core.
The heater cores are not very robust in the gen 1 and 2 and you can damage them easily by pulling on the tubes protruding out of the fire wall. I replaced 3 of them in my 93. Not a fun job.

Put your heater on hot and the fan on high and smell around the ducts. You will smell anti freeze if the heater core is leaking. your wiindshield may even fog up around the vents.

Remove the cowl so you can inspect around the firewall. If you need to remove a heater hose from the fire wall be very gentle or you can easliy damage the copper tube running into the core as mentioned above. I know people will cut them off so they don't have to put so much force on the tube. I always put some silcone grease or vaccuum grease on the hoses so they come off easy in the future.

Then look at the hoses coming into the water pump.

if all checks out ok at this point, look at the freeze plugs. Least likely to fail, but possible.

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned the firewall to ID the area of the leak, but the actual leak is coming from the engine. I even took the right front wheel off and still can't see where the leak is. None of the heater tubes that I can see are wet. I'm thinking that it is something on the engine allowing the coolant to run down the block and around the oil pan flange. It then drips down onto the cat. This leak is baffling me! LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
3.8 Essex? Have it pressure tested - could be a timing cover leak.

PITA to fix. How attached are you to the car? :)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm whit my essex experience i would say righ side or left side when your looking at it from the front

if it right side i would look into the where the ect and th ehose meet i had a nad hose was not leaking often and the gasket for the thermoistat i had some used hose crack on me and not be apparent for a long long tim e

even the hose that goes under the 3.8 intake i had it leak in the middle

the best thing would be to get a cheap balck light bulb or a hand money counterfeit detector and you will be eable at night to find your leak

lol that how i detect my last one if not i would i never seen the leak onto the ect hose clamp

cuz it was never leaking when i was looking or testing the hose

hope this help

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Say it's the timing cover leaking? Any danger of the coolant getting into the oil? Or will it be ok if I contain the leak and keep the radiator full?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
it depend how big but i never got a leak there on 3 engine with head prb

so if you have a leak find it you can even add some dye to find it better ?

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (mooby @ Jul 6 2009, 05:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737356
it depend how big but i never got a leak there on 3 engine with head prb

so if you have a leak find it you can even add some dye to find it better ?[/b]
Yeah, I just can't see it. It's dripping near the right inner fender and I can't get my head in there from above or below. I even took the wheel off and still can't see the source. My mechanic said he would have to take half the engine apart just to find the source. He also believes that it is the timing cover.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If you know the cooling system is in good shape, no deposits, maybe consider an Alumaseal treatment.

I've used it on my old 78 Merc Zypher 3.3L & 94 Taurus 3.8L to successfully stop some intermittent, but not located, external coolant weeps, without clogging up the heater core, or radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
QUOTE (mooby @ Jul 4 2009, 07:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737003
hummm whit my essex experience i would say righ side or left side when your looking at it from the front

if it right side i would look into the where the ect and th ehose meet i had a nad hose was not leaking often and the gasket for the thermoistat i had some used hose crack on me and not be apparent for a long long tim e

even the hose that goes under the 3.8 intake i had it leak in the middle

the best thing would be to get a cheap balck light bulb or a hand money counterfeit detector and you will be eable at night to find your leak

lol that how i detect my last one if not i would i never seen the leak onto the ect hose clamp

hope this help[/b]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U

·
TCCA Staff (Retired)
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still debating what to do...

For now, I dumped in some Bars Leak and it stopped the leak. Hasn't seemed to clog the radiator or heater box yet...LOL! The 'ole wagon might not be around for long anyway. May be trading it up for something a little newer! (2010 SHO would be sweet!... :wub: ) but we'll have to wait and see!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jul 7 2009, 04:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737732
QUOTE (mooby @ Jul 4 2009, 07:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737003

if it right side i would look into the where the ect and the hose meet i had a bad hose was not leaking often and the gasket for the thermostat i had some used hose with crack on me and not be apparent for a long long time

even the hose that goes under the 3.8 intake i had it leak in the middle so you could not see

the best thing would be to get a cheap black light bulb or a hand money counterfeit detector and you will be eable at night to find your leak

hope this help[/b]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U
[/b][/quote]

and dont forget im french and i did not read it all when i did my review off my text

here yo have the ect sensor and there a hose there right nest to the fuel pressure regulator

and here it the red hose that pass under the intake pleanum (not sure how to type this one )

but man get yourself at walmat a cheap black light for money counterfeit this will hell you greatly into locating where it leaking

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check the small hose/pipe assembly that runs from the pump toward the right bank of the engine (firewall area).

Sometimes a leak will develop where the hose is crimped to the pipe. This union is right above the serpentine belt tensioner.

I don't know if a leak here would find it's way to the cat, but it's easy to inspect.

Regards... Mike

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
get a black light or a portable one you will see it right away with out any more guesswork

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know how you feel...my trans is holding on by a thread...lol :lol2:

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Jul 7 2009, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737473
If you know the cooling system is in good shape, no deposits, maybe consider an Alumaseal treatment.

I've used it on my old 78 Merc Zypher 3.3L & 94 Taurus 3.8L to successfully stop some intermittent, but not located, external coolant weeps, without clogging up the heater core, or radiator.[/b]
treatment? you mean radiator stopleak treatment (bottle can which add to cooling system and stop minor leak) i have two suspect leak on my cooliing system, one is on the heater core hose and other one is from the pins of the radiator(passenger side of it), how safe to use this treatment?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jul 8 2009, 02:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737877
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Jul 7 2009, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737473

I've used it on my old 78 Merc Zypher 3.3L & 94 Taurus 3.8L to successfully stop some intermittent, but not located, external coolant weeps, without clogging up the heater core, or radiator.[/b]
treatment? you mean radiator stopleak treatment (bottle can which add to cooling system and stop minor leak) i have two suspect leak on my cooliing system, one is on the heater core hose and other one is from the pins of the radiator(passenger side of it), how safe to use this treatment?
[/b][/quote]

Well only you know the internal condition of your cooling system & can decide if it's for you. I 've always used the powder formula in the cylindrical tube. My local WallyWorld stocks it.
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/alumaseal/default.aspx
If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have had good results with Barrs Leak stopper. I used it on my 93 3.8 to stop a minor head gasket leak and it held for over 50k miles. Used it successfully on other cars with minor leaks that would have been a real pain on the a to repair by the book.

You can get it at any parts store, Wal-mart , Kmart and most any mart.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts