Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took my '01 Taurus, 12V, 65k for a pressure test to locate a "mysterious" coolant leak. The diagnosis was a leak below the timing chain cover. I thought maybe the water pump but no. the mechanic told me that he has seen this on other Taurus models. The cost, with a new water pump, is in the $6-$700 range. Has anyone else heard of, or experienced this problem. The coolant hasn't been neglected and it has not overheated.
Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I finally took my '01 Taurus, 12V, 65k for a pressure test to locate a "mysterious" coolant leak. The diagnosis was a leak below the timing chain cover. I thought maybe the water pump but no. the mechanic told me that he has seen this on other Taurus models. The cost, with a new water pump, is in the $6-$700 range. Has anyone else heard of, or experienced this problem. The coolant hasn't been neglected and it has not overheated.
Thanks
[/b]
I would get a second opinion. A water pump is maybe $40.

-GH

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I DOES happen, but as above, I'd get a second opinion. Make the technician SHOW you where it's leaking, because if HE can see it, then you should be able to, too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It does happen. I just had that repaired on mine about a month ago.

I had already had the water pump relaced about 6 months earler.

I went to the shop and saw it tore apart and he pointed out where the leak was.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1994 Taurus 3.0
About 7 years ago I had the waterpump replaced. Then last week the timing chain cover started to leak. It's really obvious if you just get under the car. The waterpump attaches on the Timing chain cover and most of the time the waterpump leaks first and people of course, like me should have just changed the TC cover when I had it all apart, but you only fix what is broke..

My car has 152K on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts