Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I've neglected the cooling system on my 2001 Sable way too long (U engine). System wouldn't hold pressure and smelled like coolant when I park. I could see signs of coolant from the water pump weep hole, so I replaced the water pump. While I had the alternator, power steering pump and AC pump out, I figured that I better replace the lower radiator hose. When I was testing the water pump installation, the coolant tank started to leak. I replaced it. When I was testing again, I could see drips of water coming from the the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom. After looking all over, I can't find the source. I was thinking that the drain might be leaking, but I can't even find IT! I'd like to ask those who have more knowledge about the cooling system that I...Any idea what this could be other than a bad radiator? Where exactly is the drain plug?

BTW, the AC isn't working so it's not condensation.

Any help would surely be appreciated...

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well, I don't have a 2001 Sable sitting here, but, I believe the drain **** is on the bottom DRIVER'S side of the radiator. That does not mean that it can't be leaking and traveling to the right side. Most likely you either didn't tighten the lower hose on the radiator enough, or the radiator tank is cracked or the seal has started leaking. Sometimes, messing with one component will cause a string of other stuff to "go bad".

·
Registered
46 Posts
does ne one know of a write up on how to remove the water pump ive been looking for it but i must not be searching for the right things???? thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
does ne one know of a write up on how to remove the water pump ive been looking for it but i must not be searching for the right things???? thanks for all the help
[/b]
Here's how I changed the water pump in my 91 LX 3.8:

1- Remove all the stuff in the way of accessing the water pump.

2- Remove old water pump.

3- Install new water pump.

4- put back all the other stuff.

Rusty: You might have to get under the car to investigate the source of your leakage. A drop light or flashlight will be handy for this. Leaks are caused by bad gaskets, bad hoses, loose clamps, holes or cracks in any component.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have a pressure test done on it. It will usually show the leak pretty easily.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Apparently I've neglected the cooling system on my 2001 Sable way too long (U engine). System wouldn't hold pressure and smelled like coolant when I park. I could see signs of coolant from the water pump weep hole, so I replaced the water pump. While I had the alternator, power steering pump and AC pump out, I figured that I better replace the lower radiator hose. When I was testing the water pump installation, the coolant tank started to leak. I replaced it. When I was testing again, I could see drips of water coming from the the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom. After looking all over, I can't find the source. I was thinking that the drain might be leaking, but I can't even find IT! I'd like to ask those who have more knowledge about the cooling system that I...Any idea what this could be other than a bad radiator? Where exactly is the drain plug?

BTW, the AC isn't working so it's not condensation.

Any help would surely be appreciated...
[/b]

My radiator started leaking in the same spot. On mine, the radiator was shot, it was leaking from where the metal meets the plastic. I just completed removal and installation of a new radiator on my '96 Vulcan OHV. It was a royal pain in the ass. The trans cooling lines wouldn't come loose, so I had to pry the plastic retaining clips out of the old radiator. It must have taken me 4+ hours in the cold weather.

When I did finally get it back together, I had a leak from the thermostat housing. :angryfire:
Then I overtightened one of the bolts for the tstat housing and broke on of them off in the block :noes:
I was able to get the bolt out, and this time got a new quality gasket and she's up and running again. This car has cost me over $700 this week!! Oh well, it still beats car payments...

-GH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts