Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TCCoA,

I need some help, or I guess just some clarification. I had a rather serious coolant leak which was diagnosed as an upper radiator hose leak. Yesterday after about an hour of work and $250 later. The hose was replaced as well as a coolant flush. Only to determine that was not the issue, being it was holiday they could not source the part which was leaking.

The hard plastic valve in which radiator hose clamps too and has a barb fitting to another hose is leaking. Sorry for my lack of car knowledge. The shop called today and stated they could not purchase the valve, and that I would be have to buy the entire "Radiator Valve Assembly" from Ford which was just over $200 with another $100+ labor charge.

I need an operating vehicle, but just wanted to ensure Monroe is telling me the truth about needing to replace the entire assembly. The leak is really bad had to fill my coolant after roughly 30miles.

Just didn't want to have to sink over $600 into this repair :(

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
YouTube

Did a little digging, and it's the same part that has issues in this video

YouTube - ‪2001 Taurus coolant leak from upper radiator hose contraptio‬‏
That guy was OK to a point.

However he should have left that last part off. About that yellow light.

Hey DUDE, it is a "gas cap off".

After many many years, I have half learned to read the book. Finally found out how to get my fog lights to work. They are different between the '01 and '03 Sables. "When All Else Fails"

I bet there is someone out there selling that "T".
Cheers

-chart-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like it would be a really inexpensive part, if I could find it :)

Does anyone happen to know what the ford replacement part is, I can't find anything online called the "Radiator Valve Assembly". In other post with people having this issue that say it costs over $100, but my shop is quoting the part over $200.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought of that, however it's my only vehicle and need to get it repaired ASAP. Guess this one is going on the credit card :(

·
Registered
697 Posts
Is that actually a valve, or just a tee fitting?

If just a tee, what is the diameter of the main tube?

It might be possible to find a copper fitting (a splice) that would fit in the large hoses and drill a hole to solder the barb fitting that is described in the youtube video.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is essentially a T, with main tube being the dia. of upper radiator hose. Sorry currently connected and needed to drive home so can't measure now. The off shoot is a smaller diameter.

I'll keep thinking of a solution and hope someone comes through with a I did that, here is exactly what I used solution :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I believe the reason the 'assembly' is so expensive

is that it includes hoses and clamps as well as the tee.

Great example of bundling for profit, although I can understand that in many cases, the hoses and tee are similarly aged and the thinking is that any part of the assembly that fails implies others are soon to follow.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Bypass hose

It is essentially a T, with main tube being the dia. of upper radiator hose. Sorry currently connected and needed to drive home so can't measure now. The off shoot is a smaller diameter.

I'll keep thinking of a solution and hope someone comes through with a I did that, here is exactly what I used solution :)
By-Pass hose, crossover assembly.

Includes two larger hoses, and the Tee. The hoses are permanent assembly with the Tee.

Makers do this to reduce cost in assembly. They have just one part rather than 3, no clamps, as in spring clamps. Since the aftermarket seems to not want to make the tee, then to replace a hose you would need to cut the factory permanent clamp off. Then hope the plastic is still solid enough to take a clamp on the new hose.

$110 at RockAuto. Motorcraft

-chart-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts