Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK..Here's what I have. In the summer, when I don't use the heater at all, the coolant level is fine. In cooler weather (until spring) when I am using the heater, it has a slow drip near the coolant resevior, somewhere on that side of the vehicle.
Does anyone have any idea why this would occur?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the overfolw tanks on these cars are known for breaking you can get a new one at ford dealer for 60 bucks just make sure its not the one with the black top you want the clear top it is stronger , you can also go to autozone , but i got one there and only lasted about 8 months.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get a motorcraft tank it's the only one worth a dang. Dorman tanks fail very quickly. I just replaced mine recently and got it off a forum member cheaper

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You all don't understand...I have NO LEAK!!!...in summer, it only develops a slow drip in the cooler months when I activate the heater setting. When it is warmer and I no longer need the heat setting, the drip goes away. It has happened for about 3 years now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I dont understand if you have no leak why did you title your entry Coolant Leak Problem? Anyway my car ,an 02' vulcan, was also doing what you describe and it turned out to be the expansion tank they are prone to failure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You all don't understand...I have NO LEAK!!!...in summer, it only develops a slow drip in the cooler months when I activate the heater setting. When it is warmer and I no longer need the heat setting, the drip goes away. It has happened for about 3 years now.
It's not a system that shuts a coolant flow valve off when not using the heater. Coolant flows through the entire system summer or winter.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's NOT LEAKING...it's only leaking during the uhhh...cool summer months...:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...I was trying to explain that I have a leak in the system when it is cold and I need the heat, and when it is warm outside and I don't use the heater, there is no coolant drip. does this explain it better. AND YES IT IS A PROBLEM!!! that's why I titled it that way!!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a system that shuts a coolant flow valve off when not using the heater. Coolant flows through the entire system summer or winter.
Well that is what I have..do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doesn't make any sense because the coolant is still circulating thru the system regardless of the season and regardless whether you are using your heater. By the way the tank you call a coolant resovoir is really an expansion tank that is under pressure that cap on top of it is a type of radiator cap. the leak you speak of is not A/C condesation is it? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cannot, hence the mockery. I mock what I do not understand.
OK..I will try to explain it better.
All summer when I do not put the heater switch on there is no coolant leaking , the level never changes and all is fine and my driveway is dry.
When it starts to turn cooler and I use my heater, I notice a small drip and the coolant in the resevoir going down and my driveway is wet with coolant.
This has been happeneing for about the last 4 winters.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
dude, chill out, that WAS sarcasm, yerz filter must be clogged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrantkey
Well that is what I have..do you have any ideas?
so what you're saying, is that you have the ONE car/genIII....in all of America, possibly the WORLD that has a closed system when the heater is off? correct? How about some pitures of your under-hood area, I'm sure that way we could help you better fix Your unique problem. Help US help YOU!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Seriously, things leak more when cold. Matter contracts, and fissures widen. So it's just a matter of finding the leak source. As has been suggested, the coolant tank is a good place to start since you're seein dripping from that area.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
This is a picture of the cracked degas tank off my 97. You won't be able to see the crack unless you use a mirror or remove it from the car. This however is pretty typical of the location where they fail

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I had a brand new radiator leak when cold. As the coolant heated up the side tanks would seal. But let it sit overnight in the cold and it would drip out of the side tank.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had the same problem for a couple years with leaking coolant when the weather got cold. It was not enough to puddle under the car, just enough to leak on the inner fender and lose a pint or two between oil changes. I could smell it leaking and even see the steam escaping at stop lights when it was below zero F (would have been a little unnerving if I didn't know what it was!) As soon as the weather warmed it would not leak as much, if at all. It only took 5 minutes to remove the tank and see the cracks to know where it was coming from, I was just too cheap to replace it with one that had a 50/50 chance of not making a year without cracking again. I finally did replace the tank and now no more leaking.

The first reply you got and all the others were giving you the right answer, just either replace the tank or live with it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you decide to get a new tank I would recommend you check out car stuff. They have one for around 40 bucks if I remember correctly and delivery to your door is only about 3-4 days. GOOD LUCK!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts