Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Drove back my 2000 vulcan from work today and I notice some smoke coming out of the engine.
I stopped the car, opened the hood and noticed the coolant was leaking from near the power steering reservoir.
It's hard to see on the video, but I figured I'd post here in case some people have some insight while my car cool down.

Cheers!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would start with the basics, there are a lot of hoses in that area. Check hose connections first, then hoses themselves. On my Vulcan there is a medium sized hose from the bottom of the coolant reservoir bottle to the lower radiator hose, also a smaller hose to the water pump. Generally if you have a coolant leak you may sense a sweet smell or be having to add to the reservoir.

Scott

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is a humongous leak. Seems to come from the waterpump or one of its 2 hoses.

Is the drivebelt slipping? Is the waterpump making awful rattling noises? See Haynes 3.7 (page 3-6).

It goes without saying, you cannot drive the car like this. The engine will quickly overheat and be ruined.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Now that I watched the video again: the leak is pretty high, so it is certainly not the lower hose to the radiator. Also: there is so much coolant coming out, that it is hard to believe a failing waterpump causes that. I'd say the upper return hose to the waterpump is loose. The connection of that hose is more or less behind the waterpump pulley and can easily be checked. You can have a look at the Rockauto catalogue to see what the waterpump and its upper hose connection look like.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The degas reservoir has a history of cracking and leaking so you should check that. There is a large 1+ inch hose from the bottom of that reservoir usually doesn't leak but could be bad. Finally it could be a massive failure of the waterpump seal if the repair wasn't fixed while the weep holes gave early warning. Also could be a failure of the timing cover gasket on the front head could cause a leak there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies.
Architect, you were right, it was the return hose going to the water pump that was cracked at the top. And I did not the car any further, she is sitting for now until this is fixed.
Hopefully this is the only cause of the leak.
Road surface Brickwork Wood Brick Asphalt
Water Brickwork Street light Wood Road surface
Automotive tire Road surface Finger Bumper Asphalt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cracked? Looks like somebody tried to pull it off the tube with quite some force, or worse ...
Yep, not sure how it happened. Before even trying to take of the hose, I wiggled it a bit and a lot of water was coming from this hole, so this was indeed where the leak was coming from.
I'll keep monitoring in the next couple of days, but so far so good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep, not sure how it happened.
What I hinted at was that this is not regular wear and tear, and that you cannot rule out that the hose was deliberately cut. I know this sounds like an awful accusation, but that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What I hinted at was that this is not regular wear and tear, and that you cannot rule out that the hose was deliberately cut. I know this sounds like an awful accusation, but that's what it looks like to me.
That makes sense, but where it was cut is hardly accessible without removing the wheel well splash guard. If they wanted to sabotage this hose, this might be one of the least accessible spot to do so to be honest.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Agree with your assessment. If this was sabotage would have gone after a hose with easier access, one of the lower hoses without removing splash shield. If someone removed the wheel well splash guard would they have taken the time to replace it??? Far easier to cut the hose lower without reaching up behind the water pump pulley??? Hope your leak is solved. I finally experienced the degas bottle leak, could not tell until I removed the reservoir bottle for inspection.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.
Architect, you were right, it was the return hose going to the water pump that was cracked at the top. And I did not the car any further, she is sitting for now until this is fixed.
Hopefully this is the only cause,
I have a 2000 Taurus and the water return line was OK, but the plastic connection in the pipe aged out and cracked a few weeks ago, so I replaced it. Shortly thereafter the plastic water container cracked, so I replaced that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts