Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking my coolant tank, I noticed it was rust colored. We drained all the coolant out of the system and ran new through it. (quite nasty busket of coolant) The radiator was replaced a couple years ago. Also did not notice any coolant in the oil. Car does not smoke either. A few days after we flushed teh coolant system, the tank was rust colored again. Could this be the start of a head gasket gone bad, or something else. That's the only thing we can think of the oil mixing with the coolant, but not really sure why it would be all the way back in the holding tank, and my oil level has not gone up nor dropped any that we can tell.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
AFAIK, there are a few TSBs about this problem. It has to do with poor grounding between components in the cooling system. As a result, there is a flow of electricity through the coolant. This causes the coolant to break down from electrolysis.

I think the solution is to use wire straps to ground the radiator to the chassis.

Search the Archives under "Brown coolant"

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
You state that the coolant was drained and new stuff run through it. Was the entire cooling system physicaly flushed? Simply opening the draincock on the radiator and emptying out the coolant and dropping new stuff in is better than nothing, but it definitely won't clean out rust/contaminents out of the system.

Although flushing the cooling system is a relatively simple procedure to do yourself, you could also pay the money to take it to a good shop and having them flush the system with their flushing machine. Cooling system flushes are relatively cheap, less than $100 (the Ford dealers around me often run 49.95 flushing specials from time to time).

Before worrying about any problems, I'd flush the system first if it wasn't actually flushed already.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, searched more on the brown coolant issue. treid searching last night, but guess wasn't using the right words to find info out. Anyway...we're gonna try the "real" flush out tomorrow. Last time, we just emptied the stuff then refilled it. Not a true flush then. The wire grounding thing, gonna try that too. I knwo when we did the motor mount we might have knocked one loose if there was one already there. But we haven't noticed any loose wires. Hum...will try though. Since we did notice the brown stuff after we changed the mount. Thanks for your help! I hope one of those fixes it!

Oh I did notice it running a tad warmer, woudl the brown coolant effect that?

S

·
0 Posts
sorry for the O-T but can I run that new orange coolant in my car? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Regarding the orange coolant...

I covered this thoroughly on SHOForum. You can read the thread HERE. My posts are under the name "Mr. SHO", if you care.

In a nutshell, DON'T use DEX-COOL under any circumstances. However, some orange coolants aren't DEX-COOL, but still meet "extended life" coolant parameters. I recommend Zerex G-05.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:eek:
i've change my heater core 2x. just this january (new heater core and flush). now my coolant shows brown again. i'm planning to flush it in the next couple of days (it's getting cold now, i don't wanna loose heat again)... do you know if head gasket is damage or water pump??? if head gasket is damaged how long is the work and how much if i'll go to a shop???
:crybabysmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I doubt it's a headgasket, but it's possible.

Go to the "archives" link at the top of the screen, and then run the search function for "brown coolant". This issue was covered before, but since then we've re-organized the TCCA page, so it is in the archives rather than our current page.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Was it the 97 Taurus that had a Recall to put in a bypass near the heater core?

I vaugely remember something like that floating around here...

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII@Sep 30 2004, 09:05 AM
Was it the 97 Taurus that had a Recall to put in a bypass near the heater core?

I vaugely remember something like that floating around here...
Yes. That's the problem that Bob had on his vulcan IIRC.

·
Registered
550 Posts
VERY common problem w/96-99 Taurus/Sables! Do a thorough FLUSH, & add diesel additive! That's what we do at the Dealers. Do NOT switch to Orange coolant!!!! VERY bad for gaskets/seals!!!

J

·
0 Posts
I had MAJOR issues with my 99 vulcan because the previous owner didn't do ANY maintenance on it (flushes or anything) and I got it with about 75k miles on it. I had to get a new heater core, got the cooling system flushed at the stealership 9, yes 9 times, the last time they did it they put some "special" chemical in that ate a bunch of hoses and stuff and caused major leakage and they had to go through and replace them all. Boy was that ever a mess. But I got them to do all that free of charge because they agreed to make the heater work as a part of the "pre-sale agreement". It took 11 trips to the stealership, 5 weeks without my car (but free brand new Taurii rentals B) ). That was a royal pain to deal with though. That car was quite the lemon though, tranny went out at 97k miles, too - it was never flushed either (I didn't know to have it done at the time or I wouldn've). The TCCA has brought me a long way since then. :notworthy: Now I know what to look for and what maintenance I should be doing and everything. B) Sorry, for the long rant.... :blink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
YIKES!!! That sucks!!! Never heard of one that bad! Sounds like SEVERE neglect!!!
Glad things are better now.

B)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by KevinMarble@Sep 30 2004, 10:58 AM
YIKES!!! That sucks!!! Never heard of one that bad! Sounds like SEVERE neglect!!!
Glad things are better now.

B)
Yeah, I really loved the car, those problems aside. But, yes, I firmly believe all that was the result of very severe neglect. I think whoever had it before me just got in it and drove and never looked back, then traded it in when they started having problems. :angry: At any rate, I dumped the car in August of last year (2003) and have had my 01 SES since then. I'm very, very happy with this car. It's been basically trouble free and I've put about 33k miles on it in just over a year. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You state that the coolant was drained and new stuff run through it. Was the entire cooling system physicaly flushed? Simply opening the draincock on the radiator and emptying out the coolant and dropping new stuff in is better than nothing, but it definitely won't clean out rust/contaminents out of the system.

Although flushing the cooling system is a relatively simple procedure to do yourself, you could also pay the money to take it to a good shop and having them flush the system with their flushing machine. Cooling system flushes are relatively cheap, less than $100 (the Ford dealers around me often run 49.95 flushing specials from time to time).

Before worrying about any problems, I'd flush the system first if it wasn't actually flushed already.
I wanna do a full flush on my 2000 taurus but I'm not sure where to hook the tee up to. Could you help me out please? I have brown goo around my cap.

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
Not sure if just a flush or 2 (or 10) is going to get all the crud out of that cooling system. I have been fixing our cars and friends cars for almost 50 years and have never seen anything anywhere near that bad. My guess is the coolant was never changed since the car was new 20 years ago.

Reactions: kekaye56 and sheila
1 - 18 of 18 Posts