Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after having no heat in my newly purchased car (2000 Taurus SE) 4th Gen Vulcan I decided to read up and do a coolant flush.

I disconnected the lower tube by the 'T' and let it drain. Looking in the reservoir you could see the bottom filled with metal shavings.. So i hooked and sealed the water hose to the disconnected bottom hose and unscrewed the reservoir lid to try and get all that junk out. after letting it flush for about 15mins i screwed the lid down (yes i d/c the thermostat lol) and you wouldnt believe all the metal shavings and junk that came out of my system. Now here's a quick question.. Where the thermostat block screws back on the the engine block there was like a fuzzy seal that was all corroded. I just took some cereal box cardboard and made my own seal and that seems to be working kinda ok, but are those seals easy to come by? Well anyway I got some heat back but its still not anywhere near as what my old Sable heat was like, so I'm thinking of flushing it again.. or rather just take it into a shop as I'm a lazy bastard. But overall the posts on this site helped GREATLY and I want to thank anyone who posted ways of doing this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm now suspecting with all the metal shavings it could possibly be the water pump, but then again I did not flush the heater core as I didnt read up on it at the time. I guess tonight I will try to flush the heater core and see where that leads me. But should I be concerned about the the tiny sparkles of metal? haha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts