Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 90 Sable with the Vulcan. I have to replace the lower radiator hose and in the process, I have no choice but to do a coolant exchange. I need to know how many galons of coolant I would need to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know how many gallons you'll need, but if you're doing the work yourself you might as well replace the thermostat and the upper radiator hose along with it. I'd also flush the system and switch over to the extended life coolant (orange stuff).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago. If you buy the mixed stuff (Already diluted w/ water) you will need two containers (possibly three to be safe). If you buy regular coolant and mix it yourself, just one.

This is what I did, I unscrewed the radiator drain **** (when car was cool) and drained it. Closed drain **** and filled w/ water (can use radiator flush treatment) and ran enigine for a minute.

I then drained the water and closed drain **** again and filled with fluids.

When it is drained, it would be a good time to replace the hose and thermostat.

Shouldn't take too long......

Good Luck !!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the other hoses are new. Replacing the thermostat doesn't sound like a bad idea.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Lakeshow23@May 16 2004, 07:13 PM
I don't know how many gallons you'll need, but if you're doing the work yourself you might as well replace the thermostat and the upper radiator hose along with it. I'd also flush the system and switch over to the extended life coolant (orange stuff).
DO NOT SWITCH TO THE ORANGE STUFF. That stuff is terrible, it will clog up radiator and heater core passages long before it's "extended life".

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600+May 17 2004, 08:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dIESEL600 @ May 17 2004, 08:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lakeshow23@May 16 2004, 07:13 PM
I don't know how many gallons you'll need, but if you're doing the work yourself you might as well replace the thermostat and the upper radiator hose along with it.  I'd also flush the system and switch over to the extended life coolant (orange stuff).
DO NOT SWITCH TO THE ORANGE STUFF. That stuff is terrible, it will clog up radiator and heater core passages long before it's "extended life". [/b][/quote]
Not to mention that I think the Orange Coolant is specific for newer cars. I think it's a different formulation, and will actually do harm to an older car (pre-2000 or so). I have a 98', and I'm doing a coolant flush and fill in a couple weeks, but won't take any risks with the cooling system.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
DO NOT USE DEXCOOL!!! (the orange stuff) It is teh suck, big time.

Nick, I'm heading over to Lucas' to sign the bill of sale on Vanessa (oops :oops: ) in a little bit. Check your PM; I just left you my cell #. If you want, I can give you a hand. Lata...

Hamal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts