Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Ford Taurus GL, and I am pretty certain that from 94 on they were using R134. So I go to an auto parts store, pick up a couple of cans, because my AC isn't cooling as good as it did last summer, and the connector size on the can is bigger than the one on the filler. Its the same on my dad's 1996 Neon. So I was wondering is there some adapter I need to buy in order to fill it or something, because I would like to be able to have really nice and cold AC again.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
sounds like good old R12 systems there

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Nope. 1994 didn't have it. It wasn't required until 1996. It started in 1995 and what the government said was "by 1996 ALL cars maufactured for the United States market had to have the R-134." Which means that it probably wasn't until the 1997 M/Y because, for example, it's 2004, and 2005 models are already out (such as the 2005 Escape.)

-Kyle

·
Registered
411 Posts
All cars/light trucks/suv's 1994 and newer are R-134a, period.

Make sure that you are using the low side port and not the high side to charge. The low side port is in the back by the firewall (on Bulls). Both the high side and low side are different sizes for a reason.

·
Registered
114 Posts
your car may not be cooling as well because as they sit longer and longer the parts inside get dirty, when your A/C isnt used all winter then your parts frequently get very dirty. Sometimes it will just work better with time, otherwise if you charge it again, get a can of the stuff with the cleaner in it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...my problem is, that I looked at the low and high pressure ports, and on my car, they seem to be the same size, then again, I should probably purchase a pressure gauge system for my car to check the coolant level before I try to add any, because for all I know, it could be the compressor being all gunked up from less use during the Winter. Thats for the responses, and clearing up whether or not mine was R-134.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you use your front defogger / defroster at all during the winter as I suspect you do, then the compressor is being used. It runs with the defogger to help take moisture out of the air.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a good point, I didn't think of that...since i do live in New York, and had a pretty cold winter, I did use the defroster at least 4-5 out of 7 days a week.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe the old R-12 connectors are screw on types. The R-134a are push on. There is a good difference in size.

Just as a reference, my 1994 Ranger had R-134a in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts