Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of converting as much as I can, of my '97 GL to the Australian version the Ghia. I have a friend there who has been sending me various parts as he is no longer in need of his Ghia.
I have so far received the rear tails (Aussie version), the locking fuel filler door,the power fold mirrors, both front door wire harnesses (BTW..they are reverse of ours)all fender badges.
I have the gas door installed, but I found out that I could not lock it, it seems that Ford put a small spring loaded bar inside of the filler nozzle area to enable users to unlock the door,flip the lock back, then just shut it to lock..... ( quite innovative) , I found a yard that has the bar and they are sending me the entire inside filler surround with the lock bar attached. I just hope that I don't have to remove the filler nozzle to install the surround, I get nervous messing with fuel stuff.

I haven't got the mirrors on yet as I was looking at the harnesses that were sent to me along with the mirrors, it seems that some of the wiring is color coded different, not sure why? Thinking of just going to the yard and getting 2 mirror clips and switching the grey aussie ones with the white ones that I have.( think all connections will line up...., I believe these are heated also, as I see they have enough prongs inside to enable the heater element... I would still need the purple fold wires, which might be easier to install than the harnesses from the Ghia.The door fold switch might have to be spliced on though, as I don't think I can remove it without doing that.

I am also getting the fender blinkers and harnesses...which I think are also quite innovative, don't know why they didn't use them in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the mirrors installed yesterday, I didn't rewire the doors as I had planned, because the mirrors matched up to my existing ones just fine, I just removed the red clip from the female door end and added the 2 purple fold wires to the plugs on both doors. The passengers door has the mirror installed , the tilt function works but it doesn't fold yet, as I need to run the fold wires under the floor to match up with the ones on the drivers door.
On the drivers door I removed the purple fold wires from the harness, as they were connected to the fold switch and the mirror I just left the purple fold wiring on the switch and and swapped out my existing mirror wiring to the aussie fold switch... on this door ..this is where the passsenger mirror wires connect..Ford did a good job of splicing them together, so I will just connect my wires to them at this point.
When I got the driver's door wiring all switched over and hooked up...THE MIRROR FOLDED!!!
Now I have the convex mirror on the driver's side, which I think is good as it makes it easier to see if any one is in my blind spot. The passenger side will be good to see that way as, when I pass someone I will wait' til I see them in the mirror...should work out fine.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
So when do we see the pictures ??????? :p

·
Banned
3,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting my camera ready..as soon as the rain lets up, hopefully by monday afternoon, I'll get pics and a video up. Brian...what did you mean?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I was agreeing with Dennis' request for pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Brian, was just wondering...I'll get some this week...I was hoping to get the passenger's side mirror working first. I need to run the wires under the seats, so I think I will add the driver's side seat heater at that time too.
I think they both fold at the same time, I thought you could just fold one or the other,by moving teh switch indicator, but the drivers side folds when the indicator is in the neutral position, so I believe they both fold together.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Yes, both the left and right mirrors should run together off the same circuit.

There's really no scenario that I can think of when you'd only need to fold one mirror or the other.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

There's really no scenario that I can think of when you'd only need to fold one mirror or the other.
If your steering fails you may be able to use them as "flaps". :lol2:

I wanna see this too! I didn't even knew the Ghia existed until a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

My thought was,,,, it would be helpful at the ATM.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not.... it just would make it easier to get closer, so as I don't have to "hang" out the window to make a transaction.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the wiring set up for the passenger side mirror, but I have.... NO FOLD... apparently it is burned out, as I do not hear any motor noise whatsoever, power is in the wiring up to the motor plug, now my dillema... should I go to a local motor shop to get a diagnosis and see if it is repairable...OR..... do I search for another one..I found the guy on ebay in wisconson with them, I sent him a message, as I don't see any right side ones left....(fingers crossed),,just my luck I hope not to have to go back to an australlian wrecker, though there are several, I could go to.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Have you bench tested the mirror? If you have a 12 volt drill battery handy you should be able to wire it up assuming you have the wiring diagrams that indicate what goes where.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have but taurusKev did his off the car it was on a thread on the other site..I can PM him and ask how he did it. Never thought of that ..thanks.
Could the motor shop test it the same way... if I told the which wire controlled the in and which controlled the out?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I don't have but taurusKev did his off the car it was on a thread on the other site..I can PM him and ask how he did it. Never thought of that ..thanks.
Could the motor shop test it the same way... if I told the which wire controlled the in and which controlled the out?
Yea you should try that first :) Sure a shop can test that way too so long as you provide them the info (I doubt Alldata/Mitchell on Demand have Aussie Bull info). They can use a DMM to verify if they are concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it possible when I was trying the fold feature wasn't hooked to the car..not grounded? although it would not fold when I tried it first when it was on the car. although it might not have been connected properly.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
No good ground=no worko.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE.....I have found another mirror!!!! ...rdh2... the kind man from Ohio is letting me buy his right side mirror, so now all I have to do is switch the motor and get the mirror off, I have to anyway, as when I was messing with trying to get the mirror face off I broke the heater wire tab.so I need a new passenger side mirror.I need to get the wide view one anyway..BUT ..I do like the wide view on on the driver's side though, so I think I will leave that one on...I know the heater on that one works 'cuz it gets REALLY warm!!!.

I have to be careful getting one off at the yard..Brian told me to reach in with something and snap a couple of the clips off and it should pop off..I know this will work as I have seen a few in the yards with just the mirror face missing.I'll try to get as new as I can...I might get lucky and find an '04 with heat!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts