Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable LS sedan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of a 2003 Mercury Sable 4 dr sedan and I would like to upgrade my regular antenna to a power antenna. Has anyone done this and is there a kit for it? Where can I buy a power antenna that will fit this car? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
May check the forum Topic Finder and Wiki.
It's unfortunately broken, well at least topic finder is.

For OP, this is an annoying and difficult process at this point because most of the Ford vehicles that had the power antenna have long been scrapped. Finding parts is a challenge, especially since these antennas used a set of plastic gears to go up and down. Time was not kind to them. I tried to do this 4 years ago and even then I decided it wasn't worth the time or effort. It's not particularly hard though, you just have to tap into the RCU in the trunk for ignition power, and install the antenna and it's associated motor. The antenna connects just like the fixed one does to the RCU itself. V8SHO has a simple walkthrough, sans the wiring step. Power Antenna Replacement

Back in the day, third gen high option Taurus/Sable/SHO were a good source of these antennas, but as I said, good luck on finding one. Maybe try Ebay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am the owner of a 2003 Mercury Sable 4 dr sedan and I would like to upgrade my regular antenna to a power antenna. Has anyone done this and is there a kit for it? Where can I buy a power antenna that will fit this car? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
No mods needed, everything is in the power antenna package, the only thing you have to find is the trigger wire or one of the radio wires(to make it go up with only the radio on, tape or CD antenna down) otherwise it's going to mount right in with given adapters.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've actually done this using OEM, the biggest problem is finding the pigtail, but it's the same pigtail as the one used on the wagon and those are easier to find in a yard. The first thing is that the rubber cup and ground plane ring are different between the sedan and the wagon (the wagon cup is deeper and has a different cut).
This is the sedan: 96-99 Ford Taurus Sedan Only New OEM Ford Power Antenna Mercury Sable | eBay

This contrary to the listing is the wagon: New Genuine NOS Ford Taurus Sedan Only Power Antenna Assembly 1996-2006 | eBay

You can convert the wagon unit by cannibalizing the cup and ring from your fixed antenna, if you do that you'll need to cut the braids connecting the ring to the antenna body at the body and then use a set of ring terminals to connect the braid to the top of the power antenna body (I used the screws on the top bracket).

The OEM harness can be tied into the pigtail on the side of the trunk where the CD changer plugs in, you'll need to connect the trigger to the audio module using a harvested pin & wire from a donor.

I strongly recommend getting a Ford antenna socket or wrench, after 15 plus years it's going to take come work to get the antenna nut off (the part is still available F6DZ-18865-AB).

Let me look around, I've got the wiring pin outs here at the house somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts