Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i was just minding my own business a couple days ago, driviing around...when all of a sudden i see a White Gen III w/ a black Convertible Top! It looked awesome. It was some old lady driving it so im not sure that it was a custom job. It looked Really sweet, though. I was just wondering if anyone had heard about this or seen something like it?

-Preston

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nope its not a Taurus [*edit*] Taurus Convertible[/edit], but it is an aftermarket thing that you can put on. I've seen more of what your talking about in parts of Florida. Its just special covering over the roof to give you the impression.

EDIT: OK let me rephrase (sorry typed too quick lol). Yes it is a Taurus, but it has a special aftermarket addition. Sorry to confuse you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the crap, its not a Taurus? Looked like a Gen III to me...I mean, there arent many cars out there that look like the Gen III Taurus...

But that kinda bums me out, i got all excited and stuff for a second about a Convertible Taurus. Oh Well. Maybe sometime i'll do what my cousin did...just cut off the whole top of the car, BAM quickie Convertible...well..it doesnt convert back very easily! :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by CobaltBlue91GL@Jul 31 2004, 12:28 PM
What the crap, its not a Taurus? Looked like a Gen III to me...I mean, there arent many cars out there that look like the Gen III Taurus...

But that kinda bums me out, i got all excited and stuff for a second about a Convertible Taurus. Oh Well. Maybe sometime i'll do what my cousin did...just cut off the whole top of the car, BAM quickie Convertible...well..it doesnt convert back very easily! :p
Yeah, something about old people cloth-topping their sedans, seen it on a Taurus, Sable, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, usually black, brown, or dark green in color

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
A couple weeks ago I saw a light blue Gen 3 Sable with a black cloth covering. I didn't like the look of it that much, but I must say, it was the first one I have ever seen. The only way I could tell it was just a covering is b/c it had the elaborate chroming strips where it stopped on the quarter panels and across the back window. Not very charming, but different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Makes me wonder if it is possible .... considering my roof is kinda crushed in if the car can be salvaged otherwise the insurance check might cover the work - just depends how brave I am feeling I guess

·
Registered
318 Posts
That tasteless "Carriage Roof" is a dealer pack that stealers put on Buicks to **** the old folks out of more money. My M-I-L has a car like that. A "Special Edition" Buick LeSabre that the snake of a salesman sold to the old bag. See below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by TheEnglishman@Jul 31 2004, 08:02 PM
Makes me wonder if it is possible .... considering my roof is kinda crushed in if the car can be salvaged otherwise the insurance check might cover the work - just depends how brave I am feeling I guess
With unibody construction, the roof is a structural part of the car. SERIOUS bracing would be required to make a convertible Taurus work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Aug 1 2004, 12:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (silvapain @ Aug 1 2004, 12:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheEnglishman@Jul 31 2004, 08:02 PM
With unibody construction, the roof is a structural part of the car. SERIOUS bracing would be required to make a convertible Taurus work. [/b][/quote]
you mean like this one here:

http://www.alfitz.com/sho/roadster.htm

II can't wait to see how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by submariner+Aug 1 2004, 12:31 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (submariner @ Aug 1 2004, 12:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2004, 12:10 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TheEnglishman
@Jul 31 2004, 08:02 PM

With unibody construction, the roof is a structural part of the car. SERIOUS bracing would be required to make a convertible Taurus work.
you mean like this one here:

http://www.alfitz.com/sho/roadster.htm

II can't wait to see how it turns out! [/b][/quote]
LOL! a real "baby SHO" That things tiny!

I hate cloth top cars, I guess it was ok back in the 80's and earlier, but to do it on a taurus, just looks wierd. I've seen about 5 and every time i see one i can't believe how ugly it is.

There was a volvo dealer around boston, I think it was boston volvo, and they did cloth tops on 50 740 sedans, looked VERY ugly, but the old people loved them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've seen some pretty nasty ones, try a black sable with a moon roof, with a tan cloth top.
but this thread got me thinking, since we need the roof, how about t-tops? i think that might be more possible than a convertible.

·
Registered
533 Posts
hmmm I dont really see any roof on that car

but chris, you are a professional to bump some old thread!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I always thought Ford put them on, I see carriage tops often on Tempo's, Topaz's and plenty of Sables and Tauri too......

If they're after market... where can I get one put on... My roof is REALLY wavy as it was caved in last year by heavy snow....when I popped it back up it looked like crap.. :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts