Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive had my car about a year and a half . I was wondering what is better , I have been using valvoline conventional oil. Is synthetic better . Also i changed trans fluid a while ago i used the mercon v motorcraft . Is there somthing that can work or pfreform and extend the life of the tranny . I have a 99 se sport duratec with ax4n trans .

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
In the end, the synthetics (real synthetics) are better, but cost and driving habits have to be considered. You can get 1000 different answers on that subject, I recommend doing some research on the subject.

As for extending the transmissions life

Rule number one, maintenance. The transmission is filled with fluid in a closed system. As it ages and breaks down, there is no where for the gunk to go, the only way to get it out its to remove it and replace the fluid and filter. If you do this often enough, you can just drop the pan and change the filter, take note of what and how much material is in the pan and filter. Then clean the pan, install the new filter, put it back together and refill to the proper level. If the system has been neglected a while, the new fluid can be so contaminated that it will just ruin the new fluid. In such cases, you can do a dynamic fluid changeout, also known as a complete fluid changeout or a gentle flush, not to be confused with the process done by a flush machine, which can harm your transmission. The proper way to do that is to allow the transmissions own fluid pump to pump the old fluid out while new fluid is added. This should only be done after dropping the pan and changing the filter. There is a sticky on the subject.

The next best thing you can do is to get a shift kit installed. The shift kit raises the line pressure, and a few other things to reduce slipping and wear during gear changes. This can be an expensive upgrade. Similar results can be done by adjusting the shift firmness with a tuner. Do not do both. You can also add a better transmission cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I believe in Mobil 1 products. That should answer your oil question.

Add a transmission oil cooler sooner than later.

Change your transmission fluid and filter a couple of times with a good Mercon V (~13 quarters per flush) at 5K intervals. There's a method for doing that on these forums some where.

At the 10k mark do a flush (~13 quarts) and filter change and switch to Mobil 1 or whichever synthetic transmission fluid you chose.

After that I would suggest a pan drop, synthetic "pan refill" (~7 quarts) and filter change every 50k miles.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Ford maintenance schedule (they come with the car or you can get it free from here) recomends to replace the transmission fluid at every 30k miles.
Of course, the internal transmission filter needs to be replaced at that time.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Why should that answer my oil question?? I don't know you so what you believe in doesn't mean anything. I have used nothing but Motorcraft or Valvoline dino oil for years and see no need to switch to synthetic. Synthetic oil is over hyped.

When a person asks a question on a forum such as this it is to get opinions. Or some other opinion better written on the Internet but still an opinion.

Like a bobtheoilguy.com opinions...

·
Registered
54 Posts
over the years i have used all three types of oil, dino, semi synthetic, and full synthetic. i have also used a variety of additives as well, STP, lucas oil treatment, rislone, etc. what i have found is that in some applications they do what is claimed, in others they dont. for instance, in my old 84 tbird, 3.8 V6/aod, when i switched from a dino oil to a full synthetic, i went from 20 city/ 30 highway to 23 city and 33 highway with a high of 36 highway mpg. on the other hand when i did the same switch in my 84 F250, 6.9 diesel/T19 four speed, my fuel economy did not change one bit.

in the end the only way you will know if it works in your application is to do your own testing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are many things to consider for whats the right oil for you're car. I personally always move to synthetic between 65,000 and 75,000 miles. I figure why not use it before it needs it. However, if you have a gasket leak or oil leak somewhere on the car, in my experience synthetic oils leak out worse, but to each his own.

For the transmission, the best way I personally think is dropping the pan, cleaning what I can, replacing the filter, and cleaning the magnet if applicable. I personally have used the transmission flush machine where you hook it up to the cooler lines, run the car, and let the actual transmission pump do a gentle flush. Once again, do what you feel most comfortable with. Neglect is what kills a car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so ive had my car about a year and a half . I was wondering what is better , I have been using valvoline conventional oil. Is synthetic better . Also i changed trans fluid a while ago i used the mercon v motorcraft . Is there somthing that can work or pfreform and extend the life of the tranny . I have a 99 se sport duratec with ax4n trans .
In what conditions do you drive? How do you drive it?

How long are your oil change intervals?

Personally, I would stick with a conventional oil or Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend and change it every 3-5K miles or every 6 months, depending on several factors... IMHO, only those who run extended oil drain intervals, and/or use their vehicle in some sort of "severe service" need to run synthetics motor oils in a car that doesn't call for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts