Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this 2001 Ford Taurus with 120,000 miles on it and I was just wondering is it better to put synthetic oil or conventional oil. It’s running pretty smooth right now but I want the best for my engine but if there’s no difference then I’ll just stick with conventional oil

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The manufacturer recommends as a minimum semi-synthetic (synthetic blend). Using a normal oil is just asking for trouble.
I am using syntetic oils in all my cars.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manufacturer recommends semi-synthetic (synthetic blend). Using a normal oil is just asking for trouble.

I am using syntetic oils in all my cars.
So I have this 2001 Ford Taurus with 120,000 miles on it and I was just wondering is it better to put synthetic oil or conventional oil. It’s running pretty smooth right now but I want the best for my engine but if there’s no difference then I’ll just stick with conventional oil
Ok synthetic it is. Thank you!!

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I have used conventional oil in all my five Taurus and majority of them hit 250k miles and then were junked due to body rot. No reason to use any synthetic oils and I don't believe it is recommended by the manufacturer. In the transmission it is, MERCON V.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used conventional oil in all my five Taurus and majority of them hit 250k miles and then were junked due to body rot. No reason to use any synthetic oils and I don't believe it is recommended by the manufacturer. In the transmission it is, MERCON V.
Ok that’s what I was using. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
but I want the best for my engine
In the transmission it is, MERCON V
Ok that’s what I was using. Thank you for the info!
I feel like I am in a Kafka book... So he is gonna use Mercon V in engine... nice!

I don't believe it is recommended by the manufacturer
Did you see any Motrocraft engine oil that is not at least blended synthetic, if not full? Oh, well... only if somebody would had posted a link on this thread. Maybe in the second post...

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel like I am in a Kafka book... So he is gonna use Mercon V in engine... nice!

i used synthetic regular. Valvoline put it in. Thank you all for the info!!

Did you see any Motrocraft engine oil that is not at least blended synthetic, if not full? Oh, well... only if somebody would had posted a link on this thread. Maybe in the second post...

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
It doesn't say synthetic oil on the filler cap just regular oil. Like I said I have had three Taurus that hit 250k miles and one hit 200k miles and not a single engine failure just rotted bodies and a bad transmission. I even extend the oil changes to 10 to 15k miles when I know I have a few more years life left. I don't recommend it but I figure I would test that theory out. However if you are in love with the car then buy the most expensive oil you can and feel good about and also the best filter. Some people believe it actually makes the car faster too since it is used in NASCAR racing.

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
It doesn't say synthetic oil on the filler cap just regular oil. Like I said I have had three Taurus that hit 250k miles and one hit 200k miles and not a single engine failure just rotted bodies and a bad transmission. I even extend the oil changes to 10 to 15k miles when I know I have a few more years life left. I don't recommend it but I figure I would test that theory out. However if you are in love with the car then buy the most expensive oil you can and feel good about and also the best filter. Some people believe it actually makes the car faster too since it is used in NASCAR racing.
Agree. I have had/have 9 bulls, 5 Lin Cont. Only engine issue was '93 Lin, with faulty engine which was replaced under warranty. All used Walmart conventional 10-30. But I change every 3-5K but now one of my 4 in the herd may not get miles just change on calendar. My Buick ran 1700 in 10 months and I changed it on time not miles. Then my daughter drove it 2K in one week. So as to oil, "it aint broke, no need to fix it". Big difference in a cold start and drive one mile, and drive 6-700 miles in one day. I quit the long haul drives 2 years ago. Pic of my '03 sedan at 193K, still clean using Wally World conventional. The engine is still quiet, runs perfect and will last way longer than the body which is about ready for the JY.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
The manufacturer recommends as a minimum semi-synthetic (synthetic blend). Using a normal oil is just asking for trouble.
Not entirely correct.

The recommended oil is the semi synthetic Motorcraft (for reasons of making more profit for Ford / sending customers to the dealer for service) but semi synthetic was not itself a requirement or a minimum requirement. The official Ford specification only required the oil meet certain performance criteria which were barely above API requirements and were met at the time by conventional oil.

There is no reason that a "normal oil" that met Ford's specification would result in trouble. Ford themselves were saying it would not. And the real world results from decades of driving and countless miles has proven that.

Since then, conventional oil (as with all oils) has improved even further. So long as the oil comes from a reputable manufacturer, it is almost certain it will meet and exceed Ford's requirements.

Having said that, I do use synthetic oil in my Taurus because I typically buy it at rock bottom prices and like to run longer oil changes. The other times when synthetic oil has a benefit is when operating in extreme cold and extreme heat especially if oil sees use across seasons or more than one cold season.

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Lot of owners are paranoid about the oil type. In balance, how many of you follow the Ford maint schedule?
I try but I do not get it done on time. I prefer to add to this for me, it is easy and prevent issue with older cars. I exchange the PS fluid, and the brake fluid in the reservoir each fall. By "exchange" I just suck what is easy to remove from the reservoir and refill. Maybe 10 minutes for each. But I can't remember replacing a fuel filter. OK got the picture. Just purchased at 99K and no indication from the Carfax it was done before. Now 6 years later and 58K miles, maybe I should consider this.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Used Quaker State in both 99 Taurus wagon and Mercury Sable then Penzoil, no sludge, oil pans clean when pan gasket was replaced on both during timing chain replacement around 200K. Conventional oil not the 'high mileage' etc with Wix filters. Almost 300K on the Taurus and 253K on the Sable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts