Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for high performance all-season tires. What tires do you use? I've found that the Continentals have the best all around performance in wet and dry conditions according to tirerack.com.

What can I expect if I mount wider tires, 225's? Better cornering? What about acceleration? Will the car accelerate at a slower rate due to the increased friction?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 9 2004, 01:24 PM
I've been looking for high performance all-season tires. What tires do you use? I've found that the Continentals have the best all around performance in wet and dry conditions according to tirerack.com.

What can I expect if I mount wider tires, 225's? Better cornering? What about acceleration? Will the car accelerate at a slower rate due to the increased friction?
Be careful when you say "the best." The ContiExtremeContact is NOT the best in those categories. Maybe for your particular size, it is the best that is offered, however the Pirelli PZero Nero beats the aforementioned tire in every single category except snow traction.

I wouldn't worry about acceleration changing much due to width. Your car will hold the road a bit better in hard turns with a wider tire. 225 is a good width for any Taurus, IMO. I run a shorter and narrower tire on my SHO than the stock size. The shorter the tire, the better the low-end acceleration. I do a lot of light-to-light "extreme city" driving, so a shorter tire is well-suited for this. If you do a lot of long highway trips, you might consider a taller tire to help out with your mpg. However, I still get 29-30mpg on the interstate, so I don't plan on switching back to the stock height and sacrificing my low-end acceleration. I won't get in to why I run a narrower tire, since the reasoning only pertains to V8 SHOs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are the best all-season tire in the 215/60/16 size according to
Tirerack.com

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 9 2004, 02:16 PM
Tirerack.com
But you didn't say for what size. Since you seem interested in changing sizes, you will be able to consider other tires. In the category of Ultra High Performance All-Season, the Contis are only #2. The Pirellis are #1. This is all according to TireRack.com.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 9 2004, 01:16 PM
Tirerack.com
I just got new 215/60/16 tires about 20 mins ago, and the ride home was much better than the OEM tires (firestone).

I got yokohama Avid Tourings, with an 80000 mile warranty and for 73 bucks a pop (book was 102).

It took some haggling, but I am pleased. Town fair tire rocks.

-DC

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
One issue with the Zero Nero is that it only comes in a 225/50 in a 16". A couple of us ran the Pirelli P7000 Supersport in a 225/50/16. Good tire, no longer offered in a 225/16, but I wouldn't recommend running the 225/50/16 size. Kinda short for the fenderwell.

As far as "All-Season Tires" (a/s) go......which should be more correctly called "No-Season Tires", coming in first in an owner's survey is kinda like coming in first in the 100-yard dash for one-legged guys. Yeah, you won, but.........

If you have regular snow, getting two sets of tires/rims is the way to go. If you only get serious snow a couple of times a year, running summer-type tires can work. A/S tires do nothing well so they can do everything "OK". Summer tires like KDWs or ES100s will do much better in the wet

That Conti tire has been liked by a few SHO folks. The one that seems to get the most praise for an all-season is the BFG KDWS. To me, it looks like a tire that would look better on a Buick, but folks have been very happy with them. They seem to be the a/s tire of choice that took over for the old BFG VR/4 that folks ran for years.

Discount Tire carries the Nitto 450 Extreme, which is a good-looking a/s tire for a good price, and SHO folks have liked them (I also have a set on my 911). Dunlop SP5000s have also been favorites, and a friend of mine loves them on his 5-series BMW.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by XMfan@Apr 9 2004, 12:24 PM
You really won't notice anything because of the change in width. In fact, different mfrs will have 225s that vary in width, so it is possible to have a 215 tire that is not appreciably narrower than some 225s.

You will notice more if you change the aspect ratio from 60 to a 55 or 50-series. Sharper steering response, as well as a slightly rougher ride (good or bad, depends on what you want).

Friction won't have anything to do with changing acceleration. What will affect it is if you get a shorter or taller tire, or if you get a tire that weighs more or less than what you have on there now. Really surprising how the same size tire can vary by 5-6 #s between mfrs.

It is also possible that, in going from a 215/60/16 to a 225/50/16 that you actually have less of a tire contact patch on the road! The little that you gain in width can be lost in length with the smaller diameter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts