Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Taurus wagon came with Continental Contact AS tires. Vehicle is in like new condition. Never an accident. Recent alignment. Recent all wheel balance. About 17,000 original miles. The reason for alignment and balance was vehicle shake at all speeds. Light but noticable vibration. I was told by a tire professional that the beads/belts are broken in one or more tires. Has anyone else had problems with these Continental tires? What is the warranty? I am really dissappointed with these tires. I am really disappointed with the Continental brand. Who makes Continental? Is the only solution to through these Continental tires away and purchase another brand at 21,000 miles? And yes, the place where I had tires balanced told me I was wasting my money with the balance, which was true. Signed: Disappointed Continental Tire Owner. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
:angry: Ask your dealer about "around the wheel program".
They will base repalcement on tire wear. Make your dealer fight with conti.
They will replace the tires but with some money from you possibly.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Have had no problems with continentals on my 00, 01 or 02. Two have 30k and one has 25k. I'm pretty sure that continentals are a division of general tire. Definately go after getting them replaced free or at least pro rated. Remember, keep griping &/or call some help lines. Here in Detroit, the TV channels do that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Conti's on my 00 SEL are just so-so. They don't seem to wear evenly even though I am crazy about keeping them at 35psi. The car was aligned when I had this set put on (same tires as from factory) and I am now having an issue with the car going in a straight line. Next time I think I will just put up the extra $ and get some nice H or V rated Michelins. Every car I have put those on always seems to ride much smoother and quieter than before. So overall I give the Conti's a thumbs down.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the Generals I have on my car. I have two sets of them and they seem to work pretty good.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Continental has been around forever. They are a British tire company (like Avon) that has probably been bought by some other tire company.

Contis are actually quite good. The ContiExtremeContacts are highly rated, and I have been considering them. The Touring Contact/Contact AS are pretty lame, but they are something like "S" rated tires for basic transportation.

When I bought my '95 SHO a few years ago, it had the Touring Contact on one axle, and a newer set of the AS tires on the other (!!). They were not very good from a performance perspective (nor were they meant to be).

It is possible for any tire mfr to make a bum tire occasionally, but I would get a 2nd opinion. Is he sure that they are broken, or can't he balance the tires properly to eliminate the shake? If those are the tires from the factory, there should be a tire warranty card along with the owners manual. If not, check with a Conti dealer or even look at their website. You can probably get a pro-rated payoff, if there is truly a tire issue.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to an indepentant qualified tire dealer (not Continental). The service manager looked at car and looked at tires and his immediate conclusion was that belts/beads were broken in one or more of the factory Continetal tires. Everything else on car is in like new/perfect condition. Tires do have many small cracks. I have no idea if all tires have these cracks. Almost look like dried out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumb:
Good News.
Continental Tire North America authorized replacement of all 4 OEM factory tires.
Got 4 new ones today. Car rides safe and smooth now.
I did write a letter to Continental Tire first and received a reply with a "profile" number. The local tire dealer telephoned Continental and replacement was quickly authorized. The local tire dealer (who sells many brands) said that this was his first warranty claim with Continental and was the quickest settled claim with any tire manufacturer. I drove in, got tires, drove out. No hassle.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
That's great. It always makes me feel good when a manufacturer steps up and takes responsibility and doesn't try to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about

Mike
B)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts