Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a problem with my brakes. I've had this 02 SES for a couple years, and i have put 4 or 5 sets of brakes and 3 sets of rotors on the car. Not autozone rotors, I buy all of my parts from OReilly. I can change the rotors (I dont buy the cheap ones) and pads, and if i drive the car much, it takes about a month for the rotors to warp. And, of course they progressively get worse. I had one set of rotors resurfaced and they didnt last too long. The last time the brakes were done (in december) I actually took the car to a reputable shop and had them change em out. I explained my problem and they inspected everything and said there were nothing wrong with my calipers, etc. And it seems to be the driver side that gets it the worse. My brother had this car before me, and he was pretty rough on it. I also had new tyroid ends put on about a year ago. the alignment is fine tho the steering wheel is a little out of line. Im not sure what to do but replace the calipers (original), and pads and rotors again....... any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
What symptom of warped rotors does your car develop? Where do you feel those symptoms (e.g., brake pedal, steering wheel...)?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
They probably aren't warping but either your driving style or the pad choice is causing a build up of pad material on the rotors.

·
Registered
84 Posts
adjust your rear brake shoes.. the rear brakes on these cars go out of adjustment badly and when they do the rears do very little braking causing the fronts to overheat and warp.. Even most shops overlook this.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Check your wheel bearing. Should be zero play when lifting/rocking tire.
I warped 2 NAPA premium rotors due to a loose wheel bearing. Bearing was not making any noise, just had play in it at 130k miles in my Sable wagon. Took about a month for the warping to start to set in and I was braking easy with the car.
Make sure your caliper slides are free and not binding also.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I was going to say bearings also. I had to replace them in my SHO. It could maybe be the axles. They might be bent, even slightly. Like if the PO jumped a curb or two. I have also heard that the bi-metal rotors warp really easy due to different expansion and contraction rates of dis-similar metals. The rear brake adjustment sounds like something to check also.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
QUOTE (svttech76 @ May 8 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723772
adjust your rear brake shoes.. the rear brakes on these cars go out of adjustment badly and when they do the rears do very little braking causing the fronts to overheat and warp.. Even most shops overlook this.[/b]

Probably because few utilize the self adjusting feature of drum brakes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 9 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723800
QUOTE (svttech76 @ May 8 2009, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723772
adjust your rear brake shoes.. the rear brakes on these cars go out of adjustment badly and when they do the rears do very little braking causing the fronts to overheat and warp.. Even most shops overlook this.[/b]

Probably because few utilize the self adjusting feature of drum brakes.
[/b][/quote]

YEP... every taurus I get in for service has the rear brakes out of adjustment. If I am doing a front brake job I will adjust them, or if I have the back wheels off it takes like a minute to do so i do it then. my own car was WAY WAY out when I bought it.

Most mechanics don't give a crap and won't adjust them for you unless you pay for it and the customer does not know better so he or she keeps buying rotors all the time.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 9 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723800
Probably because few utilize the self adjusting feature of drum brakes.[/b]
Can you elaborate on the self-adjusting feature for the drum brakes please? How do I make this happen?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Move in reverse and apply the brakes sharply two or three times. Do this once a month.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ May 10 2009, 05:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724120
Move in reverse and apply the brakes sharply two or three times. Do this once a month.[/b]
I assume you mean the regular brakes and not the parking brake? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys. This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a problem with my brakes. I've had this 02 SES for a couple years, and i have put 4 or 5 sets of brakes and 3 sets of rotors on the car. Not autozone rotors, I buy all of my parts from OReilly. I can change the rotors (I dont buy the cheap ones) and pads, and if i drive the car much, it takes about a month for the rotors to warp.

Just for statistics - what kind of brake pads are you using on the car? My two wagons would go through front rotors at about 25K miles (I do drive hard however). Wagons have rotors in the back and don't need to be adjusted to my knowledge.

I am going to replace the current ceramic pads with semi-metallic in the hope of reducing the heat generated during braking to see if this brake job it makes a difference on the seemingly inevitable rotor warpage.

After reading this I'll check my wheel bearings too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You may also want to check the mounting surfaces of your rotors and wheels. A little build up of rust can cause a lot of problems.

Also how are you re-installing your wheels? Improper install/torque of the lug nuts can cause this problem. Even the guys/shops that say they do it right don't! They will inevitably out of lazyness or being in a hurry tighten one lug all the way before snugging the rest. Even if you use a torque wrench and tighten one all the way before snugging the rest you will get warpage. Also I dont care what anyone tells you torque sticks do not work in the hands of 98% of the wrench turners out there.

When I first bought my F-150 I would go through rotors like crazy the stealership hated me during the warranty period. Finally I stopped taking it places and ALWAYS put the wheels back on myself. I have not had a warped rotor on my truck in 6 years.

I just got new tires on my 07 SEL Tauri and I told the store that if my rotors warped they would be buying them. Then I stood over the tire installers shoulder and made sure he followed the proper proceedure.

It doesn't take much to warp a set of rotors with the cheaper iron used these days.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
On all my Tauruii warped rotors was because of brakes out of adjustment. That happened on three cars. Once I didn the the rear disk conversion I never had any problems again. I also adjust/ check my brakes every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
282 Posts
my rotors are warped
i may upgrade them

if i do the 11.6 upgrade i just need brackets, rotors and pads for an 01?

thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts