Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other day, my car died while running. It had spark, but no fuel. After hours of diagnosing the fuel system, figured out it was the CCRM (contant control relay module), located on the uppper radiator support. It's a relay that control a bunch of different things, including the fuel pump. Anyone know if this is a Ford only part, or can I buy a new one elsewhere? Right now the car is running with the fuel relay part of the module bypassed, by powering the fuel pump inertia switch from the fuse box. Ford wants $170 for the relay module.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
If you buy one from a junkyard, it has to be the same year, model, and options as your car for the CCRM to function properly.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by tflander2003@Jan 23 2004, 02:49 AM
no it can be off any old taurus, any old one will work
No, it has to be from the same year grouping (86-88, 89-90, 91, 92-93, 94-95), model, and option package (A/C. P/S, VAPS, ABS, and so on). This is why the modules don't usually share part numbers across trim and option levels.

A module from a '89 Sable Vulcan will not work on a '94 MTX SHO, for example.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X+Jan 23 2004, 03:00 AM-->QUOTE (Racer X @ Jan 23 2004, 03:00 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-tflander2003
@Jan 23 2004, 02:49 AM
no it can be off any old taurus, any old one will work
No, it has to be from the same year grouping (86-88, 89-90, 91, 92-93, 94-95), model, and option package (A/C. P/S, VAPS, ABS, and so on). This is why the modules don't usually share part numbers across trim and option levels.

A module from a '89 Sable Vulcan will not work on a '94 MTX SHO, for example. [/b]
According to what I researched over at SHOTimes and SHOForum, all Gen I & II SHO MTX CCRMs will interchange with any other Gen I & II SHO MTX.

Like I said, this is the consensus over at those forums, based on my own research of the issue.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You can just add a relay. It is turned on by the PCM grounding the relay coil. See if the CCRM fuel pump PCM signal goes to ground when the car is running (it should).

·
Registered
379 Posts
See if the CCRM fuel pump PCM signal goes to ground when the car is running (it should).[/b]
I don't what you mean by this...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The PCM will ground the relay coil that controls the fuel pump circuit in the CCRM. When the car is running the wire coming from the PCM to the CCRM should be grounded.

If you have a GEN 2 then you can do this at the plug where you jumper to read the codes. There is a pin there that you can ground and with the key on the fuel pump should come on assuming the relay in the CCRM is good.

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I ground the FP Pin on the EEC Test Connector, I do hear a "click" from the CCRM, but the fuel pump does not run. This is the case with both of the CCRMs that I have tried.

So I believe the relay coil is being grounded if I'm hearing the "click", right?

But from there, nothing happens. I do not get the 12v+ from Pin 5 (PK/BK) wire coming out of the CCRM that is needed to power the FP.

I checked, and I do have 12v+ to the CCRM Pin 12 (Y) fuel pump power feed when the ignition is turned on.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If that is the case then you are unfortunate enough to have two bad CCRMs. I would check just to be sure to see if you have power at the inertia switch in the trunk when you ground out the test pin.

If not then for sure the CCRM is the problem and I would just bypass it and use a cheap lighting relay to power the fuel pump using the wire from the PCM to ground the coil, a hot in run or start fused wire on the other side of the coil, a hot in start or run fused wire to one side of the switched contact on the relay (can be the same wire as the coil just make sure the wire and fuse are big enough) and the other side of the switched contact going to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Jan 25 2004, 02:10 AM
If not then for sure the CCRM is the problem and I would just bypass it and use a cheap lighting relay to power the fuel pump using the wire from the PCM to ground the coil, a hot in run or start fused wire on the other side of the coil, a hot in start or run fused wire to one side of the switched contact on the relay (can be the same wire as the coil just make sure the wire and fuse are big enough) and the other side of the switched contact going to the fuel pump.
Paul,

I have decided to try and by-pass the CCRM and wire in my own seperate FP relay, per your suggestion. I have read too many threads at different forums about the FP relays failing inside the Gen I & II Taurus CCRMs and I think that it's time to try something else.

I bought a standard 30A relay off the shelf from AZ today that looks identical to the one in the bottom right hand corner of image below. Now, is it possible for you to describe (again, sorry) how to hook it up using the numbers on the relay (87, 87A, 86, 85 and 30)? You can quickly reference the pin out diagram/schematic for my '94 SHO HERE.

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Connect a fused wire from a hot in start and run wire to terminals 85 and 30, you can use the violet wire on pin 12. Connect terminal 86 to the PCM fuel pump control wire, a light blue and orange wire on pin 18. Connect terminal 87 to the fuel pump, a pink and black wire on pin 5.

Here is a pinout of your CCRM.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts