Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my latest mod is almost done but I cant keep it under wraps any longer. Last Saturday I went to the local Pull-a-Part lot and picked up a Gen4 Sable floor shift console, minus the wood grain shift surround, that came out of a Gen4 Taurus becasue it was satin black.

The first step involved filling in the shifter opening. I looked at all kinds of ideas, but went with filling the opening with fiberglass and then a thin layer of bondo to blend it into the original contours of the stock part.

Once the fiberglass & bondo set up, I painted the shift surround panel with a satin black bumber paint. It looks glossy here becasue its still wet.

I am going to re-finish the console lid becasue some of the color has worn off. Once everything is set and dry, the new console will house a 0-340 digital Autometer trans temp gauge and my switches for my driving lights. I will have this in the car by the weekend, but the gauge is still a couple weeks out since it is another $100 that I need to wait on right now. As of today, the total cost into this new mod is $15.00 for the console and $6.99 for the bumper paint, the interior color paint will be another $13.00 tomorrow. For less than $150, the wagon will have a cool and functional floor console.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, today I installed the new console into the wagon. Its a very easy change over as long as you remember to get the mounting bracket when you pick out a console ( I did get the bracket the other day). I added a red accent to the shifter area since I couldnt get a finish I liked on the fiberglass / bondo. Well, here are the finished pictures, minus the trans temp gauge that will be installed in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know you were dreaming of a transmission swap and when I saw that shifter opening in there, only one thing came to mind for me:

The Jaguar XF's rotary dial "shifter" and paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. B)

·
Registered
58 Posts
How much did that cost you total? I was thinking about doing that to my Taurus, but then I wouldn't have the versatility of having the 'Flip Fold seat.' How did you take out the console? Pm Me with all the instructions of how to do it. It really does look nice though! :)

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much did that cost you total? I was thinking about doing that to my Taurus, but then I wouldn't have the versatility of having the 'Flip Fold seat.' How did you take out the console? Pm Me with all the instructions of how to do it. It really does look nice though! :)
The real cost will be in the gauges I install, about $40.00 each. The console was $15.00 at the pull a part junk yard. My boss from work had the fiberglass (he has a vette so he always has glass for repairs) and another friend had the bondo to finish it off. I bought a can of bumper black paint for $6.00 and a can of interior matched paint from sherwin williams for $13.00. My guess, if you have to buy some fiberglass & bondo, you may have around $50.00 in it. I have never had to use the flip down seat, so I wont miss that. To change it over, the flip down is held in place with 2 bolts and 2 nuts. To install the console, the mounting bracket mounts to the car with 4 nuts, then the console mounts to that with 4 bolts in the console. You dont need the 2 bolts that mount to the shifter. Right now, I could change it over in about 15 minutes, very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know you were dreaming of a transmission swap and when I saw that shifter opening in there, only one thing came to mind for me:

The Jaguar XF's rotary dial "shifter" and paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. B)
I have found out it IS POSSIBLE to install a Jaguar X series (2000-2004) 5 speed behind a duratec motor in a taurus. You will also need the computer from the Jag for this to work. I talked to someone at the NMRA Ford expo a couple weeks ago and did put a post on here about a trans option. I would love to have the 5 speed / paddle shift for the wagon.....:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
"I have found out it IS POSSIBLE to install a Jaguar X series (2000-2004) 5 speed behind a duratec motor in a taurus. You will also need the computer from the Jag for this to work. I talked to someone at the NMRA Ford expo a couple weeks ago and did put a post on here about a trans option. I would love to have the 5 speed / paddle shift for the wagon.....:rolleyes2:" A member by the name of Pheonix, actually has a 200-2003 5-Speed Taurus. He told me that he put about 10k into it, most of it goign into the SHO motor. Its very nice. His pics are under 'October COTM Entry.' But thanks for all the info! I'll try it this weekend, but if i dont like it, I know how easy it is to change out. Thanks again, and make sure to check out that 5-spd Taurus!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I finished off the console by installing both gauges, a digital trans temp gauge and a volt meter. Both gauges are 2 1/16 dia and black face with red numbers. If you dont install switches, you can install 3 gauges if you wanted.
ANYWAYS, here is the first pic, its dirty, but that wont last long...LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Always nice to know how your trans is behaving! Awesome job so far, but what type of driving lights did you go with?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Always nice to know how your trans is behaving! Awesome job so far, but what type of driving lights did you go with?
I have a pair of LED lights from Advance Auto that i use just to be seen, they are bright, but dont put out a good light beam. I use the LED mostly for a daytime running light. The My other lights are an older set of pilot driving lights from Autozone. They came with 55W H3 bulbs, I have since changed them to 100W H3 bulbs and that has made a world of differance. I only use these on the open road / highway since they are in a tight space and they do get very hot.

·
Registered
587 Posts
now you got to add four more switches for the air suspension for front back side to side lol'z. they do that a lot same kinda of console in my mini truck mags but the switches are used for the air suspension. by the way it look awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now you got to add four more switches for the air suspension for front back side to side lol'z. they do that a lot same kinda of console in my mini truck mags but the switches are used for the air suspension. by the way it look awesome.

THANKS..... If it wasnt a daily driver 24/7/365 I would love to do an air ride to lower it. But knowing all the problems the caddy and lincoln lines have with year round air ride, i cant see the aftermarket stuff being better. I have given alot of thought to dropping it, but like I said, year round in the snow belt just wouldnt be pretty for a lowered bull.

·
Registered
587 Posts
THANKS..... If it wasnt a daily driver 24/7/365 I would love to do an air ride to lower it. But knowing all the problems the caddy and lincoln lines have with year round air ride, i cant see the aftermarket stuff being better. I have given alot of thought to dropping it, but like I said, year round in the snow belt just wouldnt be pretty for a lowered bull.

yep can't blame ya there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts