Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED A NEW CAR!! ahhhhhh... This is why im selling my 94. I need a newer more dependable car that i wont have to put much money into unlike my gen 2. I gotta have a new ride by june for my daughter (june is when she arrives
)

·
Registered
66 Posts
03 focus w/ 2.3L duratec, they have 3k in rebates last december so I assume they are more now. I upgraded to an 04 ZX5 w/ the 2.3L and they are running high 15's stock and w/ only a marcy intake mid 15's and more comfortable than my 94 GL. The only thing I don't have is the trunk space.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Mar 3 2004, 05:29 AM
I picked the Taurus, specifically because you have a new daughter on the way. The trucks won't be practical for a car seat, and the Focus is pretty small.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Truck == reliability (mostly.) Just get one with a crew cab and you're set to go. (These are expensive, though. If you got a Taurus, most likely the "possible" cost of repairs in addition to the buying price will still be less than the truck)

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you think the focus is small you might want to go to the dealer and check one out. I have more leg room and my dad is 6'2" and his legs don't tough the seat when he is in the back. You should be able to snag one for ~10-13k new w/ the rebates and fenagling.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You know i voted for the f150.

But even if you get a regular cab, you can still use the airbag deactivation switch. I would suggest a crew cab, or at least a supercab though.

Also, keep in mind the f150 would be the safest choice of all of them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I chose the Ranger because I love small trucks. Good fuel consumption, somewhat sporty, and not that hard to handle and drive... I feel any family should have a small truck or a capable van for moving stuff. A compact or a family sedan will not move the stuff you want to move, it WILL happen (maybe many times), eventually.

The Taurus should be more practical for a family, but then you will be stuck with the same old same old. You should choose the Taurus, though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
if u want a car you can do a hell of alot aftermarket to. get a focus. they are the american civic. but if u get a taurus, get a 99 SHO

·
Registered
663 Posts
DON'T get the 00 to 01 Focus, they are the worst ones on the market. If you can get the 02-04, Ford has ironed the bugs out of those years'.

IF YOU CAN, wait for the 05 Focus. That one has a fabulous facelift and a BRAND NEW interior design that's not stupid looking like the current one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i concur lol

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Taurus3l@Mar 3 2004, 02:58 PM
If you think the focus is small you might want to go to the dealer and check one out. I have more leg room and my dad is 6'2" and his legs don't tough the seat when he is in the back. You should be able to snag one for ~10-13k new w/ the rebates and fenagling.
I was think about the ZX3.. kinda forgot about the ZX5 and sedan.... but i was refering to small as in "get crushed by a semi" small.... The Taurus has a little more girth.

huh huh... I said girth.

J

·
0 Posts
I recommend the Taurus (specifically a Gen 4 for reliability - only issue I have with Gen 3's is trannys), my 2001 has been rock solid and I put over 20k miles on it in about 6 months; not a single problem.
*knocks on wood* - the Taurus just seems to be the most practical family vehicle. However, a crew cab F150 would probably work, too.
btw... Glad to see you're sticking with Fords.
Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
nothing says family like taurus
'nuff said.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The focus is really your best value (03,04) b/c it is more comfortable than any taurus or f-150 I have ever driven or riden in (bucket seats are standard equipment), outhandles the taurus and f-150 (accident avoidence), the new PZEV 2.3 is faster than the taurus and f-150 (except lightning), and as for safety you can get side impact airbags for 300 more (I got them). It does everything the taurus does, except for the trunk space, which is smaller but is still large enough for 100 dollars of groceries and my 14"X12" subwoofer box. Go to the dealer and tell him what you want and aim for 13-14k out the door or walk if they try to break your balls. I can't tell you how much I love my ZX5, everything is better or equal than any new taurus but I get 33-35 MPG. Go to the dealer and find out for your self how sweet this little car is.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ranger. There is no more reliable Ford vehicle than a Ranger. Trust me on this one. There isn't a Taurus or Focus in the world that can touch a Ranger. I have seen 400+K mile Rangers on stock 4 and even stock Vulcans.

Now, I have never driven one, but I assume it drives like my Explorer, which is great. It's a good size. VERY nimble for a pick-up. Parallel parking is a breeze. In fact, the Explorers corners better than the Taurus. I would definitely go with a Ranger for durability. The F-150 is too expensive, and the gas mileage sucks. Not to mention it's actually a very dangerous vehicle.

X

·
0 Posts
I say go for a new mazda 6i. I've seen some advertised as low as $14000 with an auto matic trans. They come with 4 wheel disc brakes standard, 5 star front safety rating, plus mazda's 4/48 bumper to bumper warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts