Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am (finaly) finalizing an ATX to MTX conversion on a 92’ Vulcan and totally confused over what flywheel and clutch to use.

I’ve read the two conversion articles (3.0 and 3.8), they both mention different things.

The 3.0 article mentions a 92~94 Tempo flywheel and clutch. Later in the article it mentions a 9.25” Clutch. As far as I can tell the Tempo flywheels take 8.5” clutches (7/8" x 20T spline).

The 3.8L article mentions using a Tempo flywheel and SHO clutch… I was under the impression that you can not use the SHO clutch…

When you look up Tempo Flywheel on summit you get flywheels for 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 and 3.0. All have 132 teeth but weight vary from 9lbs to 20+ lbs.

I also have an MTX Aerostar flywheel which has 132 teeth and same dia as stock ATX flywheel…

So... what EXACTLY is needed?

Any recommendation on brand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The 9.25 clutch is the old original SHO clutch that can be had for very cheap. So maybe it was used for that reason.

Maybe try the SHO clutch and go from there. Did you want OEM or stage 1?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 9.25 clutch is the old original SHO clutch that can be had for very cheap. So maybe it was used for that reason.

Maybe try the SHO clutch and go from there. Did you want OEM or stage 1?
When you say old… do you mean 1st gen?

Either OEM or stage 1. Just a daily driver.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
When you say old… do you mean 1st gen?

Either OEM or stage 1. Just a daily driver.
I mean the first 89's before the recall. All 8.25 were recalled and replaced with 8.75.

You could go with a Luk or similar OEM. Unless you plan to mod or race OEM will be fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean the first 89's before the recall. All 8.25 were recalled and replaced with 8.75.

You could go with a Luk or similar OEM. Unless you plan to mod or race OEM will be fine.
Have not been able to find any 9.25".

So, are there any known issues with using the 3.0L Tempo 8.5" Clutch and flywheel? Flywheel bolt pattern is the same and designed for the same engine so...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Its a very weak setup and was dropped for a very a very good reason. If the tempo is using a 9.5 I would not drop to a weaker setup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still trying to find a matching clutch and flywheel for this darn thing...

I don't know what SHO clutch and Tempo flywheel the sticky refers to but I can't find a Tempo flywheel that accepts a 20 spline 7/8" clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts