Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 ford taurus with the 3.0L vulcan v6, and am having a weird stumbling problem. When I first start the car after its been sitting for a few hours and put the car in gear (reverse or drive) the car feels like it has a bad misfire. The car will stutter and sounds like crap. If I give it any gas it runs normally, and after a minute or two of driving it stops happening. It doesn't happen in park, which is what confuses me.

The spark plugs are a few thousand miles old, and the fuel filter was changed 1k miles ago. The plug wires are clean and snug against the coil and the spark plugs. It isn't throwing a code.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would first check the IAC valve, make sure it's clean and not gummed up. Next, I would remove and inspect the coil pack for any signs of cracks, or melting. I would also check the intake air control valve for signs of vac leaks (see topic finder, look up '04+ Vulcan engine).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2000 Vulcan, but I could hear the distinctive hissing of a vacuum leak under the hood. There is a vacuum hose that runs from the UIM near the IAC down to a plastic connector on the passenger-side firewall. The underside of that hose had rotted away (after 188K miles!) near the plastic connector. I replaced the hose and idle is back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts