Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belts been squeeling for a while now. Its pretty new though, my old belt snapped when my AC compressor ****** up a while back. About 15k miles.
Now my ac compressor clutch messed up and i had mechanics replace my ac compressor entirely. I was thinking my belt was just loose, but it's still squeeking. It doesn't look visibly worn. Is it the belt that needs replacing?
It probablly doesnt need tightening because the mechanics that replaced my ac compressor would do that, wouldn't they?

Thanks!:lol2:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
My belts been squeeling for a while now. Its pretty new though, my old belt snapped when my AC compressor ****** up a while back. About 15k miles.
Now my ac compressor clutch messed up and i had mechanics replace my ac compressor entirely. I was thinking my belt was just loose, but it's still squeeking. It doesn't look visibly worn. Is it the belt that needs replacing?
It probablly doesnt need tightening because the mechanics that replaced my ac compressor would do that, wouldn't they?

Take the belt off and feel for any play, resistance or noise in the pulleys. I would guess the tensioner assembly, but I could be wrong. They did put a new belt on, right?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Well, I have a feeling that "take the belt off" would be a challenge for OP if he is asking about "tightening".

The belt can be removed easy(er) with a serpentine belt removal tool - Advance Auto Parts might rent you one (I have bought it).
The belt is tighten by a belt "tensioner" - a pulley with a spring-loaded excentric mount. That is the part that you need to "rotate" with that tool, to be able to remove the belt. If the belt looks ok, the tensioner spring it might be too weak and you need to replace that.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Terms

You used the terms Squeeling and squeeking.

They are quite different.

Squeeling is usually from slipping under load.

Squeeking is often misalignment of the pulleys.

-chart-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP is not an idiot. Bought the belt tensioner tool. Took the belt off. No, they did not supply a new belt when they did the AC compressor repair. It' doesn't look worn, and it's still "squealing". I'm not sure if it's a squeek or a squeel but it is a sustained sound, not every time it rotates around that area, but it's sustained the entire time. It's not loud either, more like a background eeeeee sort of thing. You are saying the belt tensioner spring might be the thing that's wrong:

HOW do I go about testing that, and if that's the problem, Replacing that?

THANKS GUYS!!!!
:D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Nobody said that you are idiot. Everybody here learns new things and we don't know too well eachother level of knowledge :)
Move the pulleys up/down... are they moving?

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Belt Test

OP is not an idiot. Bought the belt tensioner tool. Took the belt off. No, they did not supply a new belt when they did the AC compressor repair. It' doesn't look worn, and it's still "squealing". I'm not sure if it's a squeek or a squeel but it is a sustained sound, not every time it rotates around that area, but it's sustained the entire time. It's not loud either, more like a background eeeeee sort of thing. You are saying the belt tensioner spring might be the thing that's wrong:

HOW do I go about testing that, and if that's the problem, Replacing that?

THANKS GUYS!!!!
:D
Belts fail without looking bad. On my '02 Lin Cont dealer replaced everything in the PS system for a power failure intermittent parking lot speeds only. They called to tell me they did not know what else to do but call the factory rep. Under warrenty. I asked about the belt (on the phone) and got that moment of silence on the other end that told the story. He said he would get back on that.

Next day car back and the service manager had a section of my old belt on the counter for a training aid for their guys. It was so hard from heat and slipping that it would have been really hard to bend it around a pulley. No cracks, just slick, shiny, and hard. It did not make noise. That application had 7 pulleys and much heavier load, but the belt is very clost in length to the Sable DOHC, same cross section.

So, well to consider you cannot tell a bad belt by looking. Cracks tell their own story, but not all. The little 'V' groves can hit bottom in the pulleys if there is wear. That is one cause of slipping and noise.

Pulleys must be in alignment, really close. In the same plane, and not off angle. Risk to tensioner replacement is the locating pin misses the hole and it is off angle.

-chart-

·
Registered
27 Posts
also double check the idler pulley and tensioner pulley. When mine went out i thought it was the belt and turned out to be the bearings in the pulley were bad.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
You can check for belt and/or tensioner looseness by looking at the adjustment pointer atop the tensioner. If belt is not worn and stretched, and pointer is out of spec, ten. spring may be weak. Another quick check with car idling, observe ten. pulley for excessive movement (jumping).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pointer with a new belt below. When it stretches, it moves from the top sign to bottom one:

I asked about the belt (on the phone) and got that moment of silence on the other end that told the story. He said he would get back on that.

Next day car back and the service manager had a section of my old belt on the counter for a training aid for their guys.
Priceless...
Of course the rubber can do that. It get old even if not used. Temperature can affect it. Chemicals on it can affect it (spilled coolant, oil). I just replaced the tires on my wife car because they where to "hard" and slippery on wet - even if they looked that they had enough thread left.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
My guess would be a bearing is at failure in one of the pulleys. Idler, tensioner, or alternator would be my guess. What kind of belt do you have on there now?

You can get what is called "belt dressing" spray from the auto parts store and see if that helps the sound.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Belt Slip Test

Would you say the sound is being caused by a slipping belt? Does the belt look glazed? Maybe it's a bad bearing?
Easy test for slipping belt.

Start the warm engine. Put it in gear, hold brakes. Turn lights to high, AC on max, max blower. Maximum load on belt.

Turn the wheels one turn either direction and hold it for couple of seconds. Then try turning it more in the same direction. If the belt is slipping, it will have heated up and the PS will not finish the turn to the stop. If the belt is slipping, the PS may not go the the stop, or it may shake.

If the belt slips, then new belt, check the pulleys for looseness and noise with the belt off.

Of course I would have expected the tensioner test before this:
Key in pocket. Safety.
1. Open hood
2. Find the spring tensioner.
3. Find a open stretch of belt.
4. Pull hard on the belt and watch for movement of the tensioner.
5. Release the belt. Tensioner should move smothly and return.
6. Push hard with one finger on the center of that stretch of belt.
It should move maybe quarter inch or half inch, depends on your strength.

Belts too long are too common. If you have too much slack in #6, the tensioner is bad, or belt is too long.

-chart-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts