Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the sticky, the swap from Vulcan to Duratec should be just about a direct bolt in swap, however this thread suggests otherwise.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/158073-2005-vulcan-dohc-motor.html

I don't see why the Duratec won't simply bolt into place. Maybe move some wiring to get to the new alternator location, a few sensor location changes, and maybe some older valve covers to accomodate the Vulcan plug & wire ignition setup, but otherwise is there really any road block in this swap?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've never done this so I don't know for sure. But I recall reading other posts that lots of little things are different, which included things in the cabin. So if you drop the subframes on a car with Duratec and another without, then swap the entire thing, then you should be 70% there.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The engine is not that simple a swap? What accommodations do you have to the sensors and controllers found on the Duratec. You need to swap the electronics too.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the bell housing pattern is different you will need to swap the trans with it along with a duratec wiring harness and accessories you will also need to swap out the pcm and if you swap the pcm you will need pats to be reprogrammed. you will need the entire cooling system minus the radiator and heater core. if you have an ax4s and are swapping to ax4n you need new cv-shafts. there is alot more work involved too... i am sure i am forgetting some things...

·
Registered
448 Posts
the bell housing pattern is different you will need to swap the trans with it along with a duratec wiring harness and accessories you will also need to swap out the pcm and if you swap the pcm you will need pats to be reprogrammed. you will need the entire cooling system minus the radiator and heater core. if you have an ax4s and are swapping to ax4n you need new cv-shafts. there is alot more work involved too... i am sure i am forgetting some things...
Nice summary. Basically, if you really want to do this, the best thing to do is get a complete donor car (wrecked for example). Then swap the entire subframe + powertrain assembly. This also means you would have the donor PATS key and things like that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice summary. Basically, if you really want to do this, the best thing to do is get a complete donor car (wrecked for example). Then swap the entire subframe + powertrain assembly. This also means you would have the donor PATS key and things like that.
The sticky should be changed to indicate that this is not a direct swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts