Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about ripping out the air box and installing a cone filter. Couple of questions.

1. Is K & N the only brand? They're pretty expensive. If not, what do the cheaper brands go for (i'll search myself, but would appreciate recommendations)

2. Can I hook it up to the accordian hose that's on the intake manifold now? I know it won't get as good of flow as a powdered pipe, but will it be better than a panel filter.

3. Will it help with gas mileage? Power?

I don't usually mess with my car unless it'll help with gas mileage. I don't care about power (I mean c'mon, it's a 4 door sedan, not a Formula Ferrari) but we can all use better MPG.

Any help would be super sweet. thanks guys/gals.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, it does help, but a just buy a K&N panel filter since you'll get the same results and you won't have to do any modding. I added a K&N panel filter and I've gotten about 1.5-2.0 MPG better (all stop & go driving).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Indeed. The real reason to get a cone filter is for increased surface area on the filtering medium itself, but if the filter is inside the engine compartment, it's pulling hot air. To take advantage of the increased surface area, you would want to mount it inside your fender well, and run some custom-cut piping/dryer vent tubing back to the throttle body. Another factor to consider in all this is that the other elements to your intake are not big enough to take in all that much air. Definately lots more than what can get through the intake silencer, but it's debatable whether or not it's worth spending the money on a cone filter, because it may not pull any more air than a clean panel filter in your airbox.

However, for the best "flowage," mount the filter in the fender well (outside the engine bay), and run some smooth ABS or PVC pipe back to the throttle body.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I found cone filters for 25 bucks at autozone. not worth the money. but k & n panel filters are 55 dollars, and that's just stupid, especially considering the horror stories i hear about the filter oil blowing back on the MAF.

guess i'll stick to regular panel filters. i've already removed my intake silencer...good enough.

thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts