Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my laptop (and its battery are 9 months old). And in the past month the battery life has really decreased. I couldn't tell you a time amount but its noticeably worse. Batteries are around $80 or so, so a new ones gonna have to wait a little while. Anyways, when I do get a new one, what can I do to make sure it lasts more than 9 months?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Dont leave it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Are you sure that its not the computer itself, such as programs running your hard drives, ect?
Battery should last more than 9 months.....

Keep the battery fully charged at all times, and when you get the new one, run it completely dead a few times at minimum load.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (dark_fire @ May 20 2009, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726727
Keep the battery fully charged at all times, and when you get the new one, run it completely dead a few times at minimum load.[/b]
Umm - that's advice for NiCad. Most laptops today have LiIon batteries.

There have been big discussion among IBM Thinkpad owners (Thinkpad has a built-in battery life estimator among its utilities) -- consensus is that you should begin recharge at 50% and stop at 80%. Several utilities are available for TPs that do just that.

The discussion began because along with the battery estimator, TPs come with an outdated battery conditioning utility that does the NiCad thing -- discharges completely, then charges 100%. People noticed that with each so-called conditioning, their batteries dropped 8-20% in estimated life.

This link even says charge to 40%, not 80%, and has an interesting table at the end: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Do you have a Dell? If so that's your problem. Dell Batteries naturally suck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, its an HP. It's running Vista which I know is a bit of a resource hog but I've done a good job of minimizing all the crap thats running at once.

I've heard about the whole "charge completely, then discharge completely, and repeat several times when you first get it" method. But I don't know if this applies to this battery. I honestly have no clue as to the difference between lithium ion or any other type of battery.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Yeah, new Lithium Ion batteries you shouldn't have to condition.

That being sad, my advice would be to keep your battery out and laptop plugged in. If you need to go on the road with it, night before put the battery in to let it charge. Grab n go the next day.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 20 2009, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726738
Do you have a Dell? If so that's your problem. Dell Batteries naturally suck.[/b]
My dell laptop just turned 2 years old (from date of original purcahse) and the battery still gets 3 hours - that is with the dedicated video card. My thinkpad battery lost 90% of its capacity and failed in 2 years.

Laptops made within the last few years have circuits in them that keep the battery from getting damaged from overcharging.

Advice to the OP DON'T repeatedly run the lith ion batteries dead. Lithium Ion bateries like to be around half charge.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ May 21 2009, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727067
Do you have a Dell? If so that's your problem. Dell Batteries naturally suck.[/b]
My dell laptop just turned 2 years old (from date of original purcahse) and the battery still gets 3 hours - that is with the dedicated video card. My thinkpad battery lost 90% of its capacity and failed in 2 years.

Laptops made within the last few years have circuits in them that keep the battery from getting damaged from overcharging.

Advice to the OP DON'T repeatedly run the lith ion batteries dead. Lithium Ion bateries like to be around half charge.
[/b][/quote]

Lucky... I am on my third Dell battery... The first one was a Sony Recall battery, this second one is a Dell battery, and I know how to care for my batteries... Even the reviews on dell's accessory page have them rated very low. Thankfully I got myself a 9 Cell (the big one) from someone who broke their Inspiron E1505, and so now I get about 2 hours of life... They should go back to the old style... Ni-Cad or whatever they used in the old laptops. Those still last.

Oh, and my Inspiron has the dedicated video card and all that fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
On Power save mode Im lucky to get an hour out of my Dell

And on High Performance I get mabye 30-45 min.

But then again, Its a Inspiron E1705. 17" Display, nVidia 7800 GT, im sure just those two right there = bad life

But I never even use my laptop unless its plugged in to a power source, so to be honest, the bad battery life doesnt bother me unless im on a plane or somthing.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Yeah, heavy graphics and large display kill battery.

Me on the other hand....3.5-5 hours from my MacBook :)

But ask me to do any sort of video editing, graphic design, or gaming (hah!), and my computer will run away from me, fans a-blazing

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ May 21 2009, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727107
On Power save mode Im lucky to get an hour out of my Dell

And on High Performance I get mabye 30-45 min.

But then again, Its a Inspiron E1705. 17" Display, nVidia 7800 GT, im sure just those two right there = bad life

But I never even use my laptop unless its plugged in to a power source, so to be honest, the bad battery life doesnt bother me unless im on a plane or somthing.[/b]
Same with my asus, with 15.5 inch, dual HDD, 9800M GT, and a 2.53Ghz C2D with the 9 cell battery. 5 hours on "battery mode" and 45 minutes to an hour on high power playing L4D, everything maxxed out. That battery gets so hot you think it would start on fire. Thus I stay away from games without the brick.

By the way, the power brick is even larger than the old dell ones.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 21 2009, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727095
QUOTE (Millermagic @ May 21 2009, 05:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727067

[/b][/quote]

Lucky... I am on my third Dell battery... The first one was a Sony Recall battery, this second one is a Dell battery, and I know how to care for my batteries... Even the reviews on dell's accessory page have them rated very low. Thankfully I got myself a 9 Cell (the big one) from someone who broke their Inspiron E1505, and so now I get about 2 hours of life... They should go back to the old style... Ni-Cad or whatever they used in the old laptops. Those still last.

Oh, and my Inspiron has the dedicated video card and all that fun stuff.
[/b][/quote]

Mine is Samsung. Could be difference in manufacturer.

Weren't the sony batteries the ones that caught fire?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts