Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
that thing probably has a p4 in it, not sure on ram, prob around 256-512. I wouldnt go above 200, you can actually get some pretty decent computers for around 300 now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's not too bad at all. I did a little reading before posting this...seems like a rather "all rounder" kind of system, which most of them are unless your building your own or going high-end. You didn't say what the primary use would be, but you could probably do some easy upgrades if you felt the need. If I needed a computer in a pinch, that would be a good deal.

Here's a link to one review...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_240...7-30824846.html

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
It's a P4 @ 2.8GHz, with 256MB DDRRAM.

Buy it, and then buy as much RAM as that thing will hold. I'm guessing 1.5 - 2GB is the max on a Dimension of that vintage. The hard drive might be fairly small, probably no more than 80GB, but likely 30 - 40GB.

With 1GB of RAM, it'll handle the internet, light gaming, Office applications, and DVD playback just fine.

I'd get it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would stick with the Dell over the Sony any day. You are losing about 0.8GHz with the Sony. I would just get the Dell and upgrade the Ram and you should have a a pretty decent computer.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would stick with the Dell over the Sony any day. You are losing about 0.8GHz with the Sony. I would just get the Dell and upgrade the Ram and you should have a a pretty decent computer.
[/b]
great thanks for the help :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The Dell is a good deal. I'd go for it if I was local to it.

I need a linux box

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys ill be picking it up tomorrow
sounds like its the best 75.00 i ever spent

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Not really a bad machine. Most times I've encountered problems with them, it was user error.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Also, if you ever need the Dell Windows Disc if not provided, I have a few for Dell computers somewhere I could probably make a copy if needed. (Has the ones for XP Home, Pro, and Media Center, but they do not install drivers)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, if you ever need the Dell Windows Disc if not provided, I have a few for Dell computers somewhere I could probably make a copy if needed. (Has the ones for XP Home, Pro, and Media Center, but they do not install drivers)
[/b]

thanks "TaurusKev" :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well got it all hooked up and works great..thanks guys :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Glad to hear it :thumb:

Good luck with it :)

(Just because I am a paranoid person, I would recommend running a good Virus/spyware scan, you can download a trial version of Kaspersky or Spysweeper w/ AV.

Personally recommend Kaspersky Internet Security if you intend on web browsing for an Antivirus/Antispyware. Got a free copy at work, and I love it so far.

Others will recommend other things, but I know from personal experience, those two do a very damn good job :)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear it :thumb:

Good luck with it :)

(Just because I am a paranoid person, I would recommend running a good Virus/spyware scan, you can download a trial version of Kaspersky or Spysweeper w/ AV.

Personally recommend Kaspersky Internet Security if you intend on web browsing for an Antivirus/Antispyware. Got a free copy at work, and I love it so far.

Others will recommend other things, but I know from personal experience, those two do a very damn good job :)
[/b]
thanks brother ill give it a try plus it came with a fresh install
computer is clean with 96% free space..thanks again for the help :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Not a problem :thumb:

Being that I work in Retail Computer support too long, I've seen weird things on used computers... So I don't take my chances :lol2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts