Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Taurus LX with the 3.0 V6 24 Valve Duratec engine. I would like to know the specifications/typical values of the computer readout when analysing codes etc.

I live in Brazil and anything to do with imported cars is not so easy. I have a very good mechanic, originally trained in electronics, and with many years of experience dealing with car electronic and computer problems. He knows for example typical values for sensor readings like MAF or Lambda sensors but would like to know the precise readings that my model of Taurus would give. The Ford agencies here either do not have these values or do not wish to divulge them.

The car seems to have a problem on gas mileage, giving something like 12 to 15 miles per US gallon in town. I believe it should be more like 20. The gas here generally contains 25% ethanol which may have some effect, but I buy from Texaco which tends to be reliable and also contains Techron which I believe is good for keeping the fuel system clean.

We have checked all hoses and vacuum tubes and in fact replaced them. We have checked all devices such as the EGR, MAF etc and made sure they are working, connected correctly and clean. We have the computer values from our hand held computer but as I say we are not sure whether the readings we are getting are ideal or just within a typical value. We need the precise Ford values.

After all that my question is, can anyone give me advice where I can obtain these values? Is there information on the internet? Should I write to Ford in USA and if so, to whom?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you Dave, very helpful. My only problem now is understanding all the acronyms. Any suggestuions where I can find out more?
[/b]
This may be even more confusing but it defines the acronyms pretty well and may help your mechinic make sense of some of the readouts.

Parameter Identification (PID)

Cheers from Claremore, OK! :)
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts