Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well i have a Compaq Pesario S4020WM and everytime I go to a website other then this one and a couple select other it brings up some stupid stuff....like for example i go to www.google.com and it comes up with this http://start-page.info/?error=www.google.com

Well my question is, How do you reformat a computer :rolleyes:

I know on my really old HP it took a disk, this one didn't come with a disk and a while ago i called compaq and they said they can send me the disk but i dont need it because it's already on the computer....

I already tried to do a system restore but it didnt work....anyway to wipe the whole thing instead of setting it back to an earlier time?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
183 Posts
head up to compusa and buy a program i think its called quick disk. just ask one of the guys there. i will reformat the whole drive, or u can just have someone do it for u. the problem with doing it urself is its easy to mess up the drive peramiters. just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grrrrrr...compusa is like...10 minutes from here, and it's like 10pm....

stupid fandangled technology! why can't it be as easy as it was 6 years ago!

edit: Sorry, I'm upset lol......Thanks Lucky, i'll probablly go there tomarrow...

·
Registered
183 Posts
ya i just got done reformating mine, if i were u id get a apple, my G4 is perfect, none of the problems my Windows POS has.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i had the money for a Mac, believe me i'd definetly buy one, but $2500 for a computer i mean c'mon now....lol that'd be a nice down payment on a 2004 Taurus :ph34r:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think if you still have your Windows CD that came with the computer if you bought it new you can simply relaod Windows. That will wipe out everything including all of your saved files and programs you have added. I think that's a little extreme however. I have done that a couple of times however, started everything from scratch and rebuilt, but it's a pain in the :moon:

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is living with people who don't save stuff....and tend to misplace....i searched all over the house for it, and no luck....

I hate when that happens!

·
Registered
712 Posts
They say your Windows CD is on the HD? Or are they saying you don't need the CD because Windows comes pre-installed? What if the HD fails, and you need to start from scratch?

You can just borrow a copy of your version of Windows, if you can get your CD-key.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Well, if you're going to reformat you might as well first try to solve the problem. What you got is a trojan on your computer that screwed around with a ton of your registry settings. I've been infected a couple times by something similar. I'll contact you on AIM and try to help you get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for your help Xee!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
you dont have to reinstall your computer for gods sake! lol

Ok, there are many different variations of this lil spyware program..

but in mose cases, you can get rid of it by unchecking it in startup (type msconfig under run, go to startup), then delete the application itself (not just the shortcut) in the startup folder under programs/startup.

Also, you might need to type regedit in run in the start menu, go to edit, find... type in start-menu... click on find... then continue with F3 -- every instance found in you registry, delete it.

I think this should do it. : hamal :

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Jun 25 2004, 12:08 PM
you dont have to reinstall your computer for gods sake! lol

Ok, there are many different variations of this lil spyware program..

but in mose cases, you can get rid of it by unchecking it in startup (type msconfig under run, go to startup), then delete the application itself (not just the shortcut) in the startup folder under programs/startup.

Also, you might need to type regedit in run in the start menu, go to edit, find... type in start-menu... click on find... then continue with F3 -- every instance found in you registry, delete it.

I think this should do it. : hamal :
The more recent versions of this trojan (CWS) are a virtual pain-in-the-ass to remove manually. Just download the program CWShredder at www.spywareinfo.com and it'll take care of it in 99% of the cases.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Don't get me started on Spyware, Jessie. <_< I've seen more kinds than I know what to do with at work. And now I'm starting to see polymorphic spyware.

Yes, polymorphic spyware. It changes it's image name upon every reboot, even if you delete the current instance. Some of them have a daemon running in the background that will restart the process with a different name if you terminate it! :blink:

It's gotten to the point where programs like AdAware and SpyBot just don't get everything anymore. I have to sit there with HiJackThis and similar tools to try and evaluate what hooked into where, and how to get rid of it, as well as any parent processes. :angry:

·
Registered
276 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts