Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe that my compressor is seized up on my 1991 Ford Taurus when I turn on the A/C/. I can see it is not moving and making that screeching sound so I shut it off. When it is shut off I can move it around about 1/2 turn. Should it move all the way around when the engine is off and continue a full cycle?

Lost my A/C and defroster without it. What recommendations? I tried tapping it with a long screwdriver make a full revolution........Ideas please. help.

Meant to add it's my clutch that is not making the full revolution when the engine is off.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
What exactly only turns 1/2 turn? The compressor (via the clutch plate) or the pulley (I assume you have the belt off)? If it is the compressor, it is locked up and needs to be replaced along with a complete flush or replacement of all components of the AC system. If it is the pulley itself that wont turn, the hub bearing has partly siezed. I THINK in the 91 the bearing can be replaced seperate from the pulley.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Access can be a bear, especially if you have a 3.8.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 3.0 and they tell me it's 4 hours labor....plus the R12 and such. I think I could be looking at, with a new compressor and refrigerant and labor close to 1K. Wow.
Their was some smoke coming from the compressor area and when the A/C is turned on the compressor does not turn at all.
Sad.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Cheaper to buy a car

It's a 3.0 and they tell me it's 4 hours labor....plus the R12 and such. I think I could be looking at, with a new compressor and refrigerant and labor close to 1K. Wow.
Their was some smoke coming from the compressor area and when the A/C is turned on the compressor does not turn at all.
Sad.
A 20 year old car is likely not worth repair of A/C. I bought a 10 year old Sable with 50K on it for $800 a few years back. It had been driven through a fiberglass garage door. Scratches but otherwise a nice car. Of course it was not worth a paint job and bumper cover. Good daily driver.

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts