Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 sable, 0vh/vulcan--compressor and accumulator replacing--oil for parts is required. But what a contradiction or something left out. Please read.

Replacing compressor and accumulator. Info. below maybe to much to think about , but there must be some one out there that likes to dissect information or has experience or insight or all these skills to help out a retired guy.

Dilemma: Haynes says drain oil from new compressor, yet instructions on new compressor says don't drain remove the 1.5 oz inside of the new compressor. So what do i do?????

next--hayes says drain oil from old compressor and count oz's--i won't bore you with formula because you may stop and not read anymore because its based upon oz's coming out that determines how much to return to new compressor. But says max out at 6 oz

next--haynes says drain oil from accumulator after drilling holes in bottom and add same amount to new one plus 2 oz--don't exceed 7 oz;s

next-haynes says if replacing condenser then replace 1 oz--i am not replacing condenser, but if i flush it, then it would be same as needing oil.

OK HERE IS THE DILEMMA and CONTRADICTION

If i add 6 oz to compressor. Lets says 3 oz (although haynes says i can add up to 7 oz if that much is drained from it) to accumlator and 1 oz for condenser (because i would flush system if needed) maybe, then that would have a potential of a whopping 14 oz's---Sounds like way to0 much pressure in system

Could haynes have assumed i am not replacing compressor and accumulator,otherwise there formula for adding oil would over load system. But haynes says if replacing compressor then replace accumulator, so they can't assume that.

Please make it easy on me--there must be a max of oil to put in system--So how much can i load into system? Do i put it all in compressor, but it may overflow out of ports.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ford Service DVD says systems with FS10 compressor

require 6.6 oz. total.

Measure what comes out from the old compressor and accumulator and add a little more for what has been lost and what remains in the old parts - but for sure, you do not want to add more than 5 - 6 oz if you are not also replacing the condensor and evaporator.

If you flush the entire system, then put in the full amount.

Add about 1/2 the oil into the compressor so it has lube to start up. You can remove the high-pressure port valve and pour the rest in after you everything buttoned up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rick--thanks for response--but if i flush out system, which i am not sure i will, then i have to add oil for condenser and evap.--if i did that wouldn't i add the full 6.6 oz to the system?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you--it's unsettling to go it alone in my head without confirmation from knowledgeable people like yourselves. Much thanks in this matter. I only did one compressor,orifice and accum. last week.

Once i fill the ports behind the compressor with oil--i will manuver it back in place with the plugs in the ports--but when i pull them out to replace manifold lines to it, won't oil be running out, since i will not have anyone holding it at a diagnally while i reconnect the line.

I don't want to get into the whole things of using compressed oil to install, even though maybe that is the way to go. Is it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I just jumped back out of bed because I came up with another thought to ask.

As said, the compressor right now is kicking out cold air, but when turning on a/c moderately low noise starts coming from ac compressor. Thats probably bearings, right?

Would sending the system some compressed oil--couple of oz's, increase life of compressor and remove noise--what does experience have to say about that.

I don't want wife to call one day or night telling me her belt started smoking--or does pulley continue to turn once compressor stops--will the clutch stay out from the pulley so it is not engaged, therefore releasing pulley to move?

Your thoughts--thank you very much.
scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
many systems the pully will keep spinning if the compressor goes because they have a clutch built in, but its not unkown to hear of a clutch seizing up. If you put oil in the condenser when installing, I would thingk that would be enough because the refrigerant cycles the oil throughout the system. If you measure what comes out of your compressor, remember that if its not been touched or recharged, many manufacturers under-oil their systems from the factory. I would go with the amount the a/c sticker says under the hood or in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan on putting oil in condenser because i won't replace condenser.

the compressor usually has oil in it when sent from manufacturer, but its only 1.5 oz and a/c system says need 7 oz. Can't i put the remaining 5.5 in the accumulator or is that too much for it---won't it also get disbursed from accumulator, and yet i still have 1.5 oz in it before the oil in accumulator gets dispersed to it once the a/c system starts running.

I don't want to put 4 oz in compressor at one time because the compressor will have oil come pouring out of it while attaching manifold back to compressor when bolting it?

·
Registered
697 Posts
As I suggested up-thread, you can add the balance of oil through the High-side gauge port by removing the valve core and using a small funnel or flavor injector (found at a dollar store or grocery store, looks like a big syringe) to add the oil. The oil will disperse and flow when the compressor is started. Since it is being introduced at the output of the compressor, there is no danger of getting a liquid lock on the compressor.

You should consider replacing the valve core anyway when the system is open since it tends to harden and leak after a few years. This will cause a slow leak of refrigerant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts