Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All- New symptom of "something", can anyone give a suggestion on what it may be?
Sable wagon 2001 LE DOHC 90K miles (my 3rd model) - This happens when I turn on the heat with blower output in addition to the floor only. That is, when it is set to warm your legs/floor only, it doesn't happen. When you set it to defrost only, or floor + cabin and other settings, it happens. It is a "click" noise which seems to have become noticeable, louder and more frequent. One click, every 4-5 seconds or so, seemingly (perhaps) as the compressor cycles on and off. (The compressor was new this summer.) It may have repeatedly cycled on and off before, as it is normal to cycle I am told by my mechanic, but 2 things- 1) it has never been this loud (the click), and 2) it is related (it clicks in tamden) with the engine idle going 600 RPM to 800 RPM, which requires me to hold the break down firmly when stopped, or the car might creep ahead when the compressor cycles off and the RPM jumps higher to 800. Or when parking and you are just barely moving to get in a space, then the car RPM increases and the car unexpectedly speeds up. Compressor cycles off resulting in higher RPM and car slightly accelerates. The noise is clearly coming from the engine compartment. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Rapid cycling usually caused by low pressure. Loud engagement often means the air gap for the clutch is too wide. Shims adjust that.
When the A/C engages the PCM ups the idle setting to match the expected A/C load for steady idle speed. If the gas is low, the idle will be higher as the load is not what is planned.
-chart-

·
Registered
117 Posts
The mechanic is correct that it does cycle, but every 4-5 seconds is way too frequent and indicates that it's out of R134a refrigerant. It should cycle only a couple times per minute. The mechanic who replaced your compressor this summer should be responsible for finding and fixing the leak, and recharging the system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rapid cycling usually caused by low pressure. Loud engagement often means the air gap for the clutch is too wide. Shims adjust that.
When the A/C engages the PCM ups the idle setting to match the expected A/C load for steady idle speed. If the gas is low, the idle will be higher as the load is not what is planned.
-chart-
Thanks Chartmaker. Boy, you guys know your stuff! Good day...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts